Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deluxe Reverb question

just picked up a heavily modded deluxe reverb, PO didn't know much about it.

what can you tell me about it, if anything, without pulling the chasis?

has a giant speaker in there, amp weighs as much as my twin reverb.

there's no tube in the first socket, is that the rectifier?

there's a knob on the back, not sure what it does, turning it doesn't seem to do anything, maybe a volume for speaker out?

the intensity on the trem acts as sort of a master volume too. vibrato doesn't seem to be operational.

it plays and sounds really good.

got it for $480, thanks to my puerto rican buddy renula.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah that thing has been hacked, no rectifier tube, 6L6 power tubes, EV 12L speaker

if it sounds good a decent price but not really a deluxe reverb any more

Comment

Alot of these mods can be read about here.

http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb

looks like the knob on the back could be a mids control?

The intensity knob looks to have been modded to take the trem completely out of the circuit. If you turn it all the way ccw does it "click" off (is it an spst pot?) and is there a boost in volume? if so that's what has been done.
      facebook.com/TheSpiritAnimalshttp://thespiritanimals.bandcamp.com/GOOD DEALS: Iamtehcure, succor, juri, conky

Comment

Wow. That does look heavily modded. There really isn't much to tell without pulling the chassis.

That speaker is an Electro-Voice EVM-12L. Way overrated for that amp.

That slot on the far left is indeed for the rectifier. DRs came stock with a GZ34/5AR4 in that position. I'm assuming someone wired up a SS rectifier inside the chassis.

DRs run 6V6 tubes in the power section and your amp has 6L6s. To successfully do this, someone probably changed the bias pot to get the 6L6s to bias properly. Also, the rectification was changed to enable this mod. The stock power transformer doesn't provide enough heater current for 6L6s, but the change to a SS rectifier ups the heater current capacity.

The tremolo only works with a footswich plugged in. But, considering that the Intensity control works as a Master Volume, the tremolo is probably disabled.

Comment

Alot of these mods can be read about here.

http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb

looks like the knob on the back could be a mids control?

The intensity knob looks to have been modded to take the trem completely out of the circuit. If you turn it all the way ccw does it "click" off (is it an spst pot?) and is there a boost in volume? if so that's what has been done.

it doesn't click, but it cuts volume completely. kinda tapers off, after about 90 the volume stays the same.
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

yeah that thing has been hacked, no rectifier tube, 6L6 power tubes, EV 12L speaker

if it sounds good a decent price but not really a deluxe reverb any more

electro voice speaker? thing is ridiculously heavy.

i forget, the deluxe reverb usually has 6v6? are they the interchangealbe?

Comment

i forget, the deluxe reverb usually has 6v6? are they the interchangealbe?

No, they are not. You could probably run JJ 6V6Ss in there, but those are rather 6L6ish anyway.

Comment

Wow. That does look heavily modded. There really isn't much to tell without pulling the chassis.

That speaker is an Electro-Voice EVM-12L. Way overrated for that amp.

That slot on the far left is indeed for the rectifier. DRs came stock with a GZ34/5AR4 in that position. I'm assuming someone wired up a SS rectifier inside the chassis.

DRs run 6V6 tubes in the power section and your amp has 6L6s. To successfully do this, someone probably changed the bias pot to get the 6L6s to bias properly. Also, the rectification was changed to enable this mod. The stock power transformer doesn't provide enough heater current for 6L6s, but the change to a SS rectifier ups the heater current capacity.

The tremolo only works with a footswich plugged in. But, considering that the Intensity control works as a Master Volume, the tremolo is probably disabled.

thanks for the info. i tried the footswitch from my twin and the reverb worked with it, but still not trem, so you are probably correct. i could pull the chasis later if you guys are interested in seeing it.

Comment

i could pull the chasis later if you guys are interested in seeing it.

Yeah, I'd be interested in pics.

Comment

is the power transformer right behind the first socket there? cuz that thing seems huge.

Comment

Yeah, that's the PT.

Comment

thanks for the help imbuedblue, i'll get some pics of the chasis later today.

Comment

yikes...for $500 you could have gotten a used RI in great shape. Those amps are killer!

but if it sounds good I suppose it is good.

stuff:
                          52RI Tele
                          Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                          more stuff:
                          65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                          Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

nice, you haggled him pretty well. looks sexy. who cares if its been modded, does it sound good? then you did well
                            YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

Corvair'd
                              MAN for that kind of thing U got to go Back to the Old boxes from back when!! In those days we would bring are AMPS to the lake and wnen U tilt the Cab down by the water U can see the ****************in DENT it made! With the waves coming off it and Everything ****************!!!!! NOwadays they all play in there Dens and home bars or watever kind of **************** they get up to

Comment

Working...
                              X