If you could afford it would you have a EHX freeze on your pedalboard?

Elessar [Sly]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A Deluxe Freeze is mandatory for EHX to release at this point. $159, exp. input for glissing, and some improved pedal graphics would be nice.

When I had my HOG, I dug the freeze function quite a bit, but even as-is the current Freeze is stellar. A great idea!

• Members

What do you use these days? I recall you having quite the nice setup back in the day.

Polytune, Timmy, rarely a fuzz, even more rarely a delay. My band is pretty straight up heavy rock stuff so I just don't use fx, doesn't work in the band and I write way better stuff when I don't always have a delay pedal on. It's a blessing, I hated setting up/tearing down/carting around a huge pedalboard. So yeah, I leave my other pedals at home...

• Members

Polytune, Timmy, rarely a fuzz, even more rarely a delay. My band is pretty straight up heavy rock stuff so I just don't use fx, doesn't work in the band and I write way better stuff when I don't always have a delay pedal on. It's a blessing, I hated setting up/tearing down/carting around a huge pedalboard. So yeah, I leave my other pedals at home...

this is BLASPEHMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hear you on the delay though.....way overused

• Members

blasphemous? hardly. A lot of people on here are afraid of just plugging into their amp and seeing what they can come up with, or assume that if you don't use 4 delays, 5 fuzzes, 10 modulation pedals you must be playing blues rock. It's usually either all the ego driven 'I need this pedal' mentality or just a crutch for bad musicianship. I've been there with the pedal lust and having to run a big board but really it didn't do me a ton of good as a musician and it's refreshing to come out the other side of it.

• Members

Had one. Couldn't get along with it. I thought it would make a useful practice tool. Freeze a chord and then improvise over that pad. The frozen tone seemed pretty compressed and synth-like to my ears, which wasn't what I was looking for. An expression pedal/gliss function might have persuaded me to keep it.

• Members

blasphemous? hardly. A lot of people on here are afraid of just plugging into their amp and seeing what they can come up with, or assume that if you don't use 4 delays, 5 fuzzes, 10 modulation pedals you must be playing blues rock. It's usually either all the ego driven 'I need this pedal' mentality or just a crutch for bad musicianship. I've been there with the pedal lust and having to run a big board but really it didn't do me a ton of good as a musician and it's refreshing to come out the other side of it.

indeed - i play once a week (at simple jams) without effects... -just amp and its great. :thu:

• Members

Cheeky {censored}er ;)

Tools for the job really... sometimes you need delay, sometimes you dont, sometimes you need a $600 reverb pedal at church, sometimes you dont

• Members

I have a Freeze on one of my boards, and can easily see myself setting up a dedicated side chain for Freeze manipulation. I think it is a very useful bit of kit if you get to know it and mess with placement in the signal chain. It's not something I'd bring to every gig or for every style of music, but if I did I could probably find a use for it somewhere in the setlist.

I see it as another voice or as a texture generator. I use it to create pedal points in accompaniment that I couldn't normally play without changing the tuning or growing a third hand. I also use it create background textures by sustaining a single note, an interval, harmonics, or a decaying delayed sound, and then manipulate that with other effects before looping the whole thing and possibly changing the time and/or direction of the loop. And it's also cool for pads with a pitchshifter if there isn't a keyboard player in the band. Or, put it before a Whammy and imitate a theremin or bagpipes.

Archived