Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute Halp

pepperduck

• Members

I like it a lot. I prefer a 50s style neck but it's not a bad feeling neck by any stretch of the imagination. The pick ups sound great but I'm considering higher output Bareknuckle pig90s for it considering the type of music I mainly play. All in all, I paid $800 new and I don't regret it at all.

• Members

Cool man thats good to know.

Thanks for the info.

I am in a toss up between one of these (or the 50s model) and an Electromatic Gretsch single cutaway in white.

The thing about the Les Pauls is that I would have to go used as I didn't really like the Baked Maple fretboards that I tried.

The debate in my head continues.

• Members

If you can find a 50s I'd jump on it. I wanted one badly when they came out. Went with a 60s due to my love of p90s. If they came out with a 50s with p90s and rosewood fretboard that wasn't this new multiply bull{censored} they are going to be coming out with I'd {censored}ing be all about it. Only issue with my guitar is I think a ground came loose. when I turn the volume for the neck pickup all the way down there is still some signal going through. I had this issue with my SG after putting new pick ups in. So nothing that should concern you. Even if it did happen, it's a quick fix with a soldering iron.

• Members

Just want to clarify, the original 50s tributes that came out two years ago that were a limited run had p90s, not HBs. Then last year they did the 60s limited run (larger run, but still limited), also p90s (not advertised as having orange drop caps) and a 60s neck.

Since then I think there was an extremely limited number of (maybe each?) with HBs. And now the ones with dark backs and the baked maple. I'll admit I haven't followed everything since I got my 60s last year.

• Members

Just want to clarify, the original 50s tributes that came out two years ago that were a limited run had p90s, not HBs. Then last year they did the 60s limited run (larger run, but still limited), also p90s (not advertised as having orange drop caps) and a 60s neck.

Since then I think there was an extremely limited number of (maybe each?) with HBs. And now the ones with dark backs and the baked maple. I'll admit I haven't followed everything since I got my 60s last year.

Strange. I never saw 50s tributes with p90s. Or maybe my memory is {censored}ed.

tributes_Splash-01.jpg

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/news/60s-tribute-models-0125-2011/

The originals sure look like rosewood, and I'm 98% certain that's what they used on the first run. And maybe baked maple is just fine, and a good alternative and sustainable wood source, but damn if this isn't some $#!7 that Gibson is going through courtesy of the Feds. Indian rosewood isn't endangered, and the Indian government is cool with it being exported, so... what's the problem here? :confused: A Les Paul should have a rosewood board. Or ebony... but I shudder to think what they'd do if Gibson dared source some ebony...

• Members

Phil you hear about that new laminated rosewood fretboards that Gibson came up with? They are suppose to start using them on some models they have coming out if they already haven't started using them. They are trying to market it by saying since fretboards are already laminated onto the necks that this really isn't any different. I just think of cheap guitars with maple veneers on them when I think about these new fretboards.

edit: forgot the kicker, they also said something about placing the wood grain opposite directions from one another and it enhances the stability of sustain or tone or some bull{censored}.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So I tried a first run 60s tribute and a new 50s tribute (with the dark back).

The first run was such a better made guitar. It felt really solid and had good fret work. No buzzing at all.

The new one was just the opposite. Buzzing all over the fretboard and it was way lighter than the first run model.

Both models didn't feel right IMO. I guess I'll have to save my pennies for an older "real" one.

• Members

I have a dark back 60's Tribute GT with a baked maple board and I love it. You need to try a bunch though, there was a white one in the store where I got mine that was a total POS.

BTW, last time I was in Ft. Wayne Indiana there was a first-run honey back GT in the local GC that was really fantastic. They said it had been there a while, I bet it it is still there if you want to track it down.

Archived