Wolf Parade

yyyames

• Members

There was an interview on Pitchfork where Boeckner was praising a Boss Delay - I think it was the DD-7, can't remember. I've seen pictures of Decaro using the Moog delay. Dirtwise, one of them has the LAL Super Oscillo fuzz 88. I think there's a picture in the 'Pedalboards of the Stars thread'

Edit: Here we are, Boeckner's board circa 2009

3756574940_5c5f6d7ccf.jpg

• Members

sick thanks for that pic! Do you know what that black pedal between the DD-20 and the fuzz 88 is? And that red one.

I kick myself every now and then because I saw them play in orlando couple years ago and I was on stage cuz it was such a small venue but I was trashed and lost the pics and videos I took of Decaro's set up. When he plays live he changes a bunch of setting with his big toe its so odd to see but awesome!

• Members

DISCLAIMER: I'm pathetically, unhealthily obsessed Wolf Parade. That being said, the evolution of Dan's gear is pretty interesting. (Just FYI, the board posted earlier looks like it may have been for Handsome Furs - I'll explain why in a second). Dan and Spencer, in particular, were fairly poor when Wolf Parade started (they'd recently moved to Montreal from Vancouver Island and, from what I understand, were working as a telemarketer and dough mixer in a bagel shop, respectively), so Dan's rig basically consisted of a cheap, First Act Gretsch-copy into a cranked Fender of some sort. He started using delay pretty early on and also added a Boss Distortion at a certain point (although a lot of the dirt you'll hear from him is just cranked, dirty, natural Fender overdrive). He started using fuzz boxes more prominently with his other project Handsome Furs (to coincide with his wife Alexei's synth textures) and that's what you see in the pic above. By the time Wolf Parade ended, he'd incorporated those things into his WP sound and his rig looked like this:

4878207474_2db98f53f1.jpg

Fender Lee Renaldo Signature Jazzmaster into

Boss TU-2

HBE Power Screamer (with boost)

Malekko E600 Bright

Lastgast ArtLabs Tone Axe Fuzz

Boss DD-20 Delay

Electro Harmonix POG2

All into a cranked Fender Super Reverb

In the end, if you break it down to what you hear prominently on the records, if you've got some dirt, a delay, and, occasionally, a POG-style clean octave, you've got the Dan Boeckner sound.

In contrast to that, Dante's sound has had a lot less change happen over time. From all appearances, he had a bit more money when he joined in 2005 (having played with Hot Hot Heat immediately before Wolf Parade), so whereas Spencer was using toy Yamaha keyboards and Dan was rocking a $200 First Act, Dante was using some pretty nice stuff from the beginning. His earliest appearances with Wolf Parade show him using a relic Telecaster, Moog MF-104Z Analog Delay, and a Fender Bandmaster/Showman (I'm not sure which) half-stack. He made some minor changes by the time Wolf Parade ended, but ended up with this:

Fender AVRI Jazzmaster into

Boss TU-2

Boss Blues Driver

Ibanez Tube Screamer

Moog MF-104Z Analog Delay

Boss TR-2 Tremolo

All going into a Silverface Fender Half-Stack

For Dante, if you've got Overdrive, Delay, and Tremolo, you've basically got his sound.

EDIT: Found a pretty cool overhead shot of the stage, circa 2010:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theartistree/4824120596/sizes/l/in/photostream/

• Members

DISCLAIMER: I'm pathetically, unhealthily obsessed Wolf Parade. That being said, the evolution of Dan's gear is pretty interesting. (Just FYI, the board posted earlier looks like it may have been for Handsome Furs - I'll explain why in a second). Dan and Spencer, in particular, were fairly poor when Wolf Parade started (they'd recently moved to Montreal from Vancouver Island and, from what I understand, were working as a telemarketer and dough mixer in a bagel shop, respectively), so Dan's rig basically consisted of a cheap, First Act Gretsch-copy into a cranked Fender of some sort. He started using delay pretty early on and also added a Boss Distortion at a certain point (although a lot of the dirt you'll hear from him is just cranked, dirty, natural Fender overdrive). He started using fuzz boxes more prominently with his other project Handsome Furs (to coincide with his wife Alexei's synth textures) and that's what you see in the pic above. By the time Wolf Parade ended, he'd incorporated those things into his WP sound and his rig looked like this:

4878207474_2db98f53f1.jpg

Fender Lee Renaldo Signature Jazzmaster into

Boss TU-2

HBE Power Screamer (with boost)

Malekko E600 Bright

Lastgast ArtLabs Tone Axe Fuzz

Boss DD-20 Delay

Electro Harmonix POG2

All into a cranked Fender Super Reverb

In the end, if you break it down to what you hear prominently on the records, if you've got some dirt, a delay, and, occasionally, a POG-style clean octave, you've got the Dan Boeckner sound.

In contrast to that, Dante's sound has had a lot less change happen over time. From all appearances, he had a bit more money when he joined in 2005 (having played with Hot Hot Heat immediately before Wolf Parade), so whereas Spencer was using toy Yamaha keyboards and Dan was rocking a $200 First Act, Dante was using some pretty nice stuff from the beginning. His earliest appearances with Wolf Parade show him using a relic Telecaster, Moog MF-104Z Analog Delay, and a Fender Bandmaster/Showman (I'm not sure which) half-stack. He made some minor changes by the time Wolf Parade ended, but ended up with this:

Fender AVRI Jazzmaster into

Boss TU-2

Boss Blues Driver

Ibanez Tube Screamer

Moog MF-104Z Analog Delay

Boss TR-2 Tremolo

All going into a Silverface Fender Half-Stack

For Dante, if you've got Overdrive, Delay, and Tremolo, you've basically got his sound.

EDIT: Found a pretty cool overhead shot of the stage, circa 2010:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theartistree/4824120596/sizes/l/in/photostream/

dude u are the man. Awesome info. I to have had a weird wolf parade obsession since 2006ish. Im mostly interesting in getting the tone like the opening of grounds for divorce. Does the pog play a part in that?

Off topic Have you listened to the moonface stuff? Liked the marimba stuff the most but Saw him in DC for the vibraphone album it was really good.

Archived