Recommend an overdrive pedal for me - Thorogoodish - 175 pafs to vint Gibson Falcon

Goldenvoice

• Members

I've recently been doing small gigs with an early 60's Gibson Falcon amp, mostly to save weight over my 78' Pro Reverb with pop master...

So, what's mostly missing is the growl I can get out of the Pro; the Gibson amp gets way too loud for the small gigs well before breaking up, so I'm needing a lush overdrive pedal.

True bypass a must (only need growl occasionally). I'm eyeballing the modded TS9 on ebay...

What else might I want to consider?

• Members

I think Thorogood uses a cranked Silverface Deluxe. The Tim/Timmy would be a good bet. Make sure you get some copper pipe and make your own slides too. That really is big part of his sound.

Thorogood used Silverface Twin Reverbs on his earliest records.

A Falcon has been my main amp since 1995 - I've yet to find a drive that tops a BJF Honey Bee OD into it, and I've tried dozens.

Bearfoot FX makes a cheaper version that sounds really good from the clips I've heard. They're under $200 I think.

I have a Timmy and love it but the HBOD is king with that amp.

• Members

OK, I've been reading up on the suggestions... HBOD by bearfoot sounds fun and affordable. The Honeybeast also looks tantalizing, with the extra boost.

Both the Tim and Timmy seem almost like "Industry standards", and for seemingly good reason.

This evening listened through this OD shootout: http://harryj.net/OD_Shootout.htm

The Tim sounds great in the samples. The other drive I liked the sound of in these samples is the Zendrive. -thoughts on this one?

I've also caught myself in the 'more is better' (ie: Tim over Timmy / Beast over Bee)
But the small footprint of the Timmy/HBOD fits better in my gig bag.

Looking like one for the studio, and one for the road ;)

• Members

erksin - I'm sure you've spent a little time with a 'formula 5' into your Falcon...

What did you think?

Probably a world apart from the HBOD?

I'm asking because after spending a few more hours listening to samples online, I'm liking quite a bit of the 5's clips ;)

• Members

I held out for a long time on the Tim/Timmy hype but I recently picked up a Tim cause it was a for a great price and I'm not sure why I waited so long. It's a great overdrive. For me it's not a very smooth overdrive. When pushing my Tweaker it gets surprisingly raunchy. And I love it. You would not be disappointed with it.

• Members

I have had a Timmy for years. But- just got a very cheap pedal that is alot of fun. The Danelectro Wasabi Rock a Bye. It is an overdrive and delay in one. It is very raunchy. I love my Timmy and other high priced gear- but also love the great CHEAP gear that is out there.

• Members

erksin - I'm sure you've spent a little time with a 'formula 5' into your Falcon...

What did you think?

Probably a world apart from the HBOD?

I'm asking because after spending a few more hours listening to samples online, I'm liking quite a bit of the 5's clips
;)

The Fn5 is 'grainier' and higher gain than the HBOD (at least it is compared my my old version HBOD which are apparently darker sounding than the new Bearfoot versions) and has more compression to it. I run my Falcon pretty much cranked, so the HBOD works better for me through this amp because it retains some string to string clarity. If I was running a 'blackface' style amp that had less mids happening I'd want the Fn5 to add some harmonic content.

They aren't really that far apart in terms of their basic EQing - its the way they break up that separates them IMO.

Archived