Whts the best of the budget pedal brands?

hugbot

• Members

I'm looking mainly for a super simple analog delay that wont add a bunch of nasty crap to my signal, but I may as well broaden the question to cover the whole of their range.

Out of the cheapy, plastic or chinese made brands: behringer, joyo, biyang, Belcat, artec ect which is the best?

I have a behring DD5 copy, while it works ok the knobs feel nasty and it adds more noise than any other pedal I've owned, the danelectro chicken salad I used to own however sounded as good as any modulation I've tried, the only catch was the casing.

• Members

If you really want an analog delay, I don't think any of those are actual analog, but digital acting like analog. Can't say how good or bad they are. But I would say, look at a used MXR Carbon Copy or a Malekko 616. They aren't super expensive new either. Used, maybe under $100. I like just about all of the MXR line, good, simple analog pedals that sound really good, used by pros for many years, and don't cost a lot. They will also last longer than these cheaper chinese clones, and they hold their value better too.

• Members

I've had the behringer analog delay. I think its called the vd400. It was pretty good. And they're dirt cheap.

This and the old DOD "Delay" is one of the few cheaper analog delays you can find.

The Rogue/Modtone/Belcat are all actually digital.

I don't think you can make a broad generalization about which inexpensive pedal brands are "best." Some are obviously the same pedal, from the same factory, but with different labels and branding. Those you could probably assume to be the same general quality, but a Danelectro graphic EQ may be better than a Joyo or whatever, while the Joyo phaser may be preferable to you when compared to the Danelectro.

IOW, IMHO, it comes down to individual pedals and not just brands. YMMV.

• Members

I've never had any bad experiences with any of the Behringer pedals I've had--VD400, RV600, VP1, and CC300. None of this supposed tone suck crap. They all sounded good and worked just fine. So, Behringer is the low-budget pedal champ for me.

Archived