When I First Started Coming Round These Parts

• Members

It seemed like everyone had a huge board and a lot of folks were sweating dat Radiohead guy and dat Incubus guy with tons of individual pedals. Then it seemed collectively, without any real rhyme or reason the HCFX community at large down sized to trim and to the point small boards... Now with multi effects (M9, Eventide, Strymon, etc) being all the rage folks have been gravitating back to the massive board but now with thousands of more options? When will the great ebb and flow lead us all to the purge? I know I am in the middle of my purge. Gotta simply so I can expand if you know what I mean...

• Members

It seemed like everyone had a huge board and a lot of folks were sweating dat Radiohead guy and dat Incubus guy with tons of individual pedals. Then it seemed collectively, without any real rhyme or reason the HCFX community at large down sized to trim and to the point small boards... Now with multi effects (M9, Eventide, Strymon, etc) being all the rage folks have been gravitating back to the massive board but now with thousands of more options? When will the great ebb and flow lead us all to the purge? I know I am in the middle of my purge. Gotta simply so I can expand if you know what I mean...

less is more, and errbody poor poor. I know my ass just doesn't want lug {censored} around constantly

• Members

My pedalboard is probably considered too large. I mostly use one function boxes, but I really try to use only what I need for the job. And I try to orchestrate my changes so that they don't affect my performance. That way it's never too much to have to do at once to get the right sound. Plus practice. :lol: I just use only one or two kinds of modulation per song. It works for me anyway... If something isn't being used, then it usually comes off.

Whatever...

• Members

I love having a big board at home, but hate using one at shows. I hate tap-dancing and so many things can fail when you're using a lot of pedals that I try to keep it down to a few. Plus I play at such high volumes that you don't need a whole lot of pedals that are subtly different from each other.

Moral of the story, I hate troubleshooting under duress, and thus I use a smaller board than Radiohead.

• Members

Now that my expensive multi effects are shipped to the new owners, I can say that the Axe II I got {censored}s all over the Timeline, Space, El Cap, etc. that everyone fawns over. Not even a contest, IMO. Much better UI than the Timeline as well and the Space {censored}ed with my sound like crazy. I'd been having problems with my Diezel being too dark but as soon as I took the Space out of the loop, all of the high end returned. Main rig has gone to just amp, AxeII and tuner/fuzz/wah/RJM MIDI controller on the floor. Still have a medium sized board for when I go jam with someone else's amp but {censored} ever going back to PITA stomps with no headroom for the main rig.

• Members

lol yeah

I aint sellin nothin but I have been on an unintentional downsizing lately

been using a small wattage amp cranked for practice and using the guitar volume for clean/dirty and man is it fun

been playing mandolin in a bluegrass band so no amps/pedals/bs there

my pedalboard died halfway through the last gig and played with just a dirt pedal on that gig and was still a blast.

doesn't surprise me man, I remember when we jammed you had a great sense of melody, which is way better than any pedal.

• Members

I just got sick of the whole pedal business: Lovepedal, Freakish Blues, PGS, Strymon and their bull{censored} hype and fake scarcity, tone buzzwords, shills and 'demos' that are actually compensated endorsements.

{censored} it, sold everything and now I make what I want. Funny thing is after a couple years building I have a sizable collection again but the majority of the time it's just fuzz face>dmm.

• Members

Now that my expensive multi effects are shipped to the new owners, I can say that the Axe II I got {censored}s all over the Timeline, Space, El Cap, etc. that everyone fawns over. Not even a contest, IMO. Much better UI than the Timeline as well and the Space {censored}ed with my sound like crazy. I'd been having problems with my Diezel being too dark but as soon as I took the Space out of the loop, all of the high end returned. Main rig has gone to just amp, AxeII and tuner/fuzz/wah/RJM MIDI controller on the floor. Still have a medium sized board for when I go jam with someone else's amp but {censored} ever going back to PITA stomps with no headroom for the main rig.

Balls man, that sounds awesome. I should seriously look into that.

• Members

I think, that for a time, people wanted pedals that did all kinds of wierd things and/or had a bunch of functions. I admit I tried a few, but realized a lot of the sounds are not useful in a band/live situation. So I think a lot of people went through that too, and just started going down to the bare minimum.

• Members

Since I don't play out, my board could be any size I suppose. But even then, too much of a good thing, is too much. So I pretty much limit myself to the PT2 board. Whatever I have (except wah/vol) needs to fit on this board. If I have too much, something usually gets sold. I might start "hoarding" some modulation pedals I like but don't use all the time, especially the inexpensive MXR pedals.

I might try a PT Mini board, with just reverb, delay, fuzz/overdrive and compressor, and probably nothing else. I can't quite do it yet, but will definitely get there at some point.

Archived