Overdrive that's like a BD-2?

DylanWilde

• Members

So I've got an awesome overdrive pedal that's being fixed by the small builder on the other side of the country and it seems to be going nowhere fast. However, I'm going to be jamming with a band in a few days and need something in it's stead. . .so I'm looking for a low to medium gain OD that's got a flat EQ and an overall amp-like response. I know I really like the Boss BD-2, but I'm looking for something that's true bypass so I don't add any more buffers in my signal path (I've already got 3). It's also got to be something I can grab at GC (They've got a $20 off $100 going on right now). Any recommendations? I've never played a Fulltone OCD, so that's what I'm eyeing at the moment. . .

• Members
:idk: I thought the stock BD-2 was pretty cool when I tried it out. The OCD is awesome of course, but it's not really the same thing. The Fulldrive 2 in Comp Cut mode is kinda similar to what the BD-2 does and you get the boost and other modes, so maybe check that out? You might be able to get there with the MXR Badass Overdrive. I hated it, but other people seem to get some good sounds out of it. Nothing wrong with a good ol' TS-9 or MXR Classic Overdrive either.

• Members

If you like the BD2 and need to buy at GC, buy a BD2 and buy or build a TB loop. Sounds like you may want to use one anyway later on if you're bothered about having 3 buffered pedals.

I'd also suggest looking at the Boss OD3, which is my favorite OD for single coils.

Steve

• Members

Went to GC, played a bunch of overdrives and ended up with a Way Huge Green Rhino MK II. Love it. With the tone control, gain, and EQ curve all the way up, it's simply awesome sounding - incredibly transparent from an EQ sound point, and has a grit, grind, and depth that I didn't find with a lot of the other pedals, including an OCD and TC Mojo Mojo.

Archived