I'm seriously entertaining having a custom-made expression pedal controller

Northstar

• Members

I recently had my favorite OD (Dean Markley Overlord) modded so I could control the gain with an expression pedal. It has become so useful in a short time that I'd like to have expression pedals for other pedals' parameters.

I already have a Strymon Capistan for which any parameter can be controlled with an expression pedal.

The problem is that I don't want to have 4 expression pedals or more on my pedal board.

Here's what I'm thinking about: having a pedal built with one input (stereo cable from expression pedal) and 4 outputs (stereo cables for four remote pedals with expression jacks). The real show-stopper however would be to have four motorized pots and four footswitches so that I can set one parameter, go to another and the previous parameter would stay set...

Is there an easier way to do this? I have to say it would seriously kick ass just to see the motorized pots in action when I play with the expression pedal.

• Members

You can have four mini expression pedals...

I hated how huge mine was, I bought a yamaha one like this

1277822617_102509620_2-Pictures-of--Digi

If you look closely, inside the unit, you can see that the functioning parts of the expression pedal are actually very small.

All you have to do is take the bottom plate off, take the rubber off, and cut the metal footplate.

In the end you have an expression that is less than 1/3rd the size of the original

Sorry no pics atm I'm at work.

It was one of the best things I ever did, still works like a charm and it's now the size of a boss pedal.

• Members

There is this but its pricey:

I just made a switcher that allows me to switch between using my Roland EV-5 with a Pitchfactor and Frantabit.

This. I think there is something similar that Moog made but has since been discontinued.

http://www.centaurguitar.com/New_Moog_MP_201_Multi_Pedal_Controller_p/1797.htm

• Members

I am using one Ernie Ball 25k pedal for simultaneous expression control over 4 Eventide pedals and one Source Audio distortion. Midi thru FTW.

How it works: The Eventide pedal that the expression pedal is plugged into is set up as the midi controller, to transmit expression control to the others; the others are set up as slaves, to receive midi control of expression, and transmit midi thru to the next one down the line. The Eventides can use any control number, so I use the number that controls the parameter I want to tweak on the Source Audio pedal (24).

...and I still have two other expression pedals in use anyway, one for the M9 and one for my other Source Audio effects. :facepalm:

• Members

pics please

table-midi.jpg

The midi chain is not in the same order as the sound chain...since it's sending the same command through all the pedals it doesn't matter what the order is. So just for convenient cable management, the midi starts out from the Pitchfactor, goes into the Space, and through the Space into the Timefactor, through the TF to the Modfactor, and through the Modfactor into the blue Soundblox Pro in the top row. The Source Audio expression pedal controls all 3 Soundblox pedals via the sensor output, which is daisychained from one Soundblox pedal to the next, because they have jacks for that too (sensor in/sensor out, basically works the same way as midi through):

b0.gif

...and it also controls the morph function on the red one, through the regular expression input (this is the function I control by midi on the blue one).

• Members

Why not use digital pots. Set a micro controller to read where the potentiometer is on the treadle then apply that to any one of the 4 digital potentiometers you can have lined up inside, each with an output to a different expression input. Hell, you could have as many digital pots inside as you want, you would be mostly be limited to the outputs of the microcontroller and the physical space requirements of the output jacks.

Archived