Insane Wiring Diagram question

Stevenglass

• Members

So i've got another stupid idea for my telecaster... I want to be able to get any tone out of it lol. So basically. It's a Humbucker neck, and little 59 bridge. 250K tone/volume. However, it's a push pull for coil split in the humbucker position. What i want to do, is actually get a stratocaster pickup, and put it in the middle position. But i want to wire it to a switch so it only turns on when i have the switch on, and i want it to combine with whatever pickups are on. How Could i wire this?

• Members

So i've got another stupid idea for my telecaster... I want to be able to get any tone out of it lol. So basically. It's a Humbucker neck, and little 59 bridge. 250K tone/volume. However, it's a push pull for coil split in the humbucker position. What i want to do, is actually get a stratocaster pickup, and put it in the middle position. But i want to wire it to a switch so it only turns on when i have the switch on, and i want it to combine with whatever pickups are on. How Could i wire this?

So you want...

Neck - Humbucker (unknown type) - with push/pull option to tap one of the coils

Middle - Single Coil - When active, only active in conjunction with either Neck or Bridge pickips

Bridge - Lil' 59 (Single Coil sized SD Humbucker)

My first thought is why limit the middle single coil pickup to never being used by itself?... I'd just put a 5-way switch in like a strat, that seems like the easiest solution.

My second thought it I'd strongly consider series/parallel as the neck toggle than tap one of the coils. You get a similar sound, and the benefit of hum canceling.

Wire the Strat pickup to its own separate switch, and run that straight to the volume / tone controls and then the output. When the switch is on, the Strat will be on and will blend with the other pickups - depending of course on how the main pickup selector switch is set. IOW, you will be able to get Strat pickup plus either or both of the other pickups at will.

You can get volume / tone pots with built-in DPDT switches. Wiring one of those to switch the extra pickup on or off is a piece of cake.

Also 250k is way too dark sounding for use with humbuckers IMHO. Better to use 500k pots.

• Members

Also I would strongly consider 500k pots for the humbuckers

Close. But here's what i meant.

It's already wired as a coil split humbucker to push pull pot, and the bridge is also wired. I just want to be able to turn off them middle when i don't want it.

And that's a no on the 500k pots. I like them way to much the way it is.

Rephrasing since i just saw phils post. This guitar is def far from dark. It's actually really in the middle sounding. It's perfect.

• Members

That's simple. I thought you meant something actually insane.

The craziest one to implement, that I came up with, is to be able to combine almost any combination of 3 pickups' coils, and still override that with 1 switch, selecting not only bridge humbucker but putting it back in series coil mode.

Currently my setup is 2 pull pots to select any combination of my P-Rails bridge coils; the 5-position switch selects either or both pickups, but also each of the neck pickup-including positions can put that one in parallel or series mode. I drew insane schematics for a week until that one seemed beautifully simple ;) ... fortunately the guitar came with a 4P5T "superswitch" already in it.

P.S.:

But would it combine with whatever pickups were on at the time?

Of course. The decision would be if you want to be able to get only mid pickup or not. An ON-ON-ON 3-position toggle would allow selecting mid pickup, mid + the output of your current selector, or just your regular selection.

Archived