Versatile fuzzes??

-Norge-

• Members

Throw some options out there of crazy versatile fuzzes. I've got a Skreddy Lunar Module and i love it to death. what are some other fuzzes that are have tons of tones in them?

Kung Fuzz by shoe pedals. Check it out. Mine can do anything. i even play a little jazz with it sometimes it cleans up so nice. and there is a very usable octave up on the pedal.

[video=youtube;uyOXkrkx0-o]

• Members

depends on what you mean by "versatile". Do you mean fuzzes that can also do overdrive sounds or fuzzes that run from normal fuzz to epic crazy noise? I prefer the latter. Anyway, probably the most versatile fuzz I have is the devi ever Dream Mangler, which can do regular heavy fuzz, octave up fuzz, octave down oscillation, white noise, swell fuzz, etc. Then there is the Zoom Ultra Fuzz which just has a wide range of "normal" fuzz tones, from muffy, to edgy, to vintage-y, plus some oscillation theremin stuff.

• Members

I seem to hear people raving about how versatile the Musket is. I don't have first hand experience with one, but you should definitely look into them, from what I've heard.
:thu:

It covers a really wide range of Muff sounds, and is really, really good at it. If you want more than a bunch of Muff sounds I'd suggest you look elsewhere and that we not become friends. (kidding)

• Members

The Fuzz Factory covers an insanely wide range of sounds.

But its tough to rely on because the knobs / settings are so {censored}ing sensitive...

The Pharaoh is the flavor of the month but i gotta admit I do love it and I totally drank the kool aid... That said for versatility I still adore my tried and true Zoom Ultra Fuzz which is basically a predictable Fuzz Factory. Discontinued so a little tough to find but man is it worth it. The gate, color, and resonance knobs offer so many options.

• Members

Throw some options out there of crazy versatile fuzzes.
I've got a Skreddy Lunar Module
and i love it to death. what are some other fuzzes that are have tons of tones in them?

It would seem to me as though you're set in that department ;)

• Members

But its tough to rely on because the knobs / settings are so {censored}ing sensitive...

The Pharaoh is the flavor of the month but i gotta admit I do love it and I totally drank the kool aid... That said for versatility I still adore my tried and true Zoom Ultra Fuzz which is basically a predictable Fuzz Factory. Discontinued so a little tough to find but man is it worth it. The gate, color, and resonance knobs offer so many options.

Yeah it can definitely be tough to dial certain sounds in again but it's definitely a fun ride. There was a Zoom in the spam thread recently, I'm not sure if it sold or not.

• Members

for versatility I still adore my tried and true Zoom Ultra Fuzz which is basically a predictable Fuzz Factory. Discontinued so a little tough to find but man is it worth it. The gate, color, and resonance knobs offer so many options.

I had one of those. I was an idiot to sell it. It could do fairly conventional distortion/fuzz tones right through to nasty squealing oscillation that *actually* made me feel ill. I think I wanted a fuzz that was more kind of TGP-ey or something stupid like that. What a tit. :facepalm:

• Members

all of the BAT stuff is very versatyle. i'd go for a Pharaoh.

if you have a loud clean amp that would be the way to go, imho.

if you're looking for something crazier like an octave fuzz my Zvex Octane III does a lot of stuff. i've had mine for about a year and i still discover new sounds everytime i fiddle with it because it is pretty sensitive to the way you dial it and oscillates in an awesome way with the volume past 90%. works great with drop tunings, especially, imo.

• Members

^

tell me about that one.

Guyatone TZm5:

It can produce a massive variety of fuzz tones, from thin and scratchy to thick and heavy; gated, velcro-fuzz to long, harmonically rich sustain.

This is all thanks to the two-way 'Phase' switch which radically changes the fuzz voicing, and the input attenuator control. (But it doesn't oscillate.)

It cleans up well and can even be used as a clean boost or slightly gritty overdrive which turns a bit fuzzy when you dig in.

It also works just as well with clean or dirty amps, both tube or solid state.

It's a great pedal in my opinion.

The only potential issue is that, if you have a very bright base-tone set on your amp, the 'Negative phase' mode may be a bit too bright and, as the Tone control is more of a filter which affects the texture of the fuzz as much as the actual tone/EQ, if it is too bright (which is a matter of taste, of course) that brightness can't really be dialled out... but then it could just be me, as I don't particularly like bright fuzz tones.

In the 'Positive phase' mode (which is the thicker, fuzzier mode) it isn't a problem at.

• Members

Guyatone TZm5:

It can produce a massive variety of fuzz tones, from thin and scratchy to thick and heavy; gated, velcro-fuzz to long, harmonically rich sustain.

This is all thanks to the two-way 'Phase' switch which radically changes the fuzz voicing, and the input attenuator control. (But it doesn't oscillate.)

It cleans up well and can even be used as a clean boost or slightly gritty overdrive which turns a bit fuzzy when you dig in.

It also works just as well with clean or dirty amps, both tube or solid state.

It's a great pedal in my opinion.

The only potential issue is that,
if
you have a very bright base-tone set on your amp, the 'Negative phase' mode may be a bit too bright and, as the Tone control is more of a filter which affects the texture of the fuzz as much as the actual tone/EQ, if it is too bright (which is a matter of taste, of course) that brightness can't really be dialled out... but then it could just be me, as I don't particularly like bright fuzz tones.

In the 'Positive phase' mode (which is the thicker, fuzzier mode) it isn't a problem at.

thanks! that was very detailed :thu:

• Members

+1eleventy to the Fuzz Factory and I'll add the Mid-Fi Electronics Demo Tape Fuzz to the list. Incredible pedal IMO.

i kinda like the Fuzz Factory but i'm not the biggest fan of it. definitely wanna try the Tape Fuzz, that sounds amazing in every clip i've heard of it. fits the bill for crazy.

Archived