Jazzmaster and jaguars, the new Jacksons and Kramers?

renula

• Members

I love offsets but it is kinda reminding me of the 80's with all the superstrat craziness.

Am I wrong? Is Fender milking dry the offset cow?

Discuss.

(ESL maybe in full effect)

Not IMHO. In fact, I'd say they're finally giving people what they've been asking for, at least in terms of the new Squier VM models that are supposedly shipping in July. There are several "traditional" Strats and Telecasters in the Squier lineup, but until the new VM's come out, all Squier has had for Jags were "inspired by" type designs... and outside of the J Mascis JM, the same holds true for Jazzmasters as well.

Other than that, what else is there? Johnny Marr's Jag, but no one would bat an eye if someone came out with yet another Strat sig model. There is also the 50th Anniversary Jaguar, but that will be gone next year. Blacktops? Not fully "traditional", and there are Strats and Teles in that line too, so again, it's not like Fender is focusing exclusively on offsets.

• Members

I don't know about being the new Jacksons and Kramers (maybe though, kind of catering to the new 'mainstream indie rock' set), but it was weird walking into Gtr Center and seeing all of these models displayed by the front door instead of a bunch of Les Pauls...I didn't mind that much though, being an offset lover.

• Members

I think it's great they're offering a variety of offsets. For years it was just Strats and Teles, and more Strats and more Teles.

The do run the risk of over-saturation, though.

I just think they're trying to make viable alternatives to the old standbys, which I can respect.

• Members

personally i think the offset movement has just had a longer and more tedious lifespan. i don't think it is even remotely close to the superstrat craze.

And

if you think about it, popular offset users are Finally being recognized, just in the last 4 years, of their influence on music(in relation to producers of the actual instruments) -

j. mascis

elvis costello

thurston moore

lee ranaldo

johnny marr

• Members

personally i think the offset movement has just had a longer and more tedious lifespan. i don't think it is even remotely close to the superstrat craze.

And

if you think about it, popular offset users are Finally being recognized, just in the last 4 years, of their influence on music(in relation to producers of the actual instruments) -

j. mascis

elvis costello

thurston moore

lee ranaldo

johnny marr

KEVIN SHIELDS

• Members

+1000000

I would love that!

man... you have no idea how long I've lusted for one of those... now that Warmoth is offering the body it would be just around $1K to put on together depending on the options you go with...but.. .I'm sure Fender could do one for cheaper than that with some killer options....

• Members

+1000000

I would love that!

man... you have no idea how long I've lusted for one of those... now that Warmoth is offering the body it would be just around $1K to put on together depending on the options you go with...but.. .I'm sure Fender could do one for cheaper than that with some killer options....

• Members

while offsets have blown up on some forums (here), real world I hardly ever see them being used. its rare to see a band use them around here, and any shop you walk into you're lucky to see one of each type when surrounded by hundreds of guitars, if that.

• Members

while offsets have blown up on some forums (here), real world I hardly ever see them being used. its rare to see a band use them around here, and any shop you walk into you're lucky to see one of each type when surrounded by hundreds of guitars, if that.

Yeah I think a certain type of player really likes offsets (people who post on effects forums) and the internet has made that market a lot more visible and easy to tap, but I still see most players out there using the old standby tele.

Archived