Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazzmaster and jaguars, the new Jacksons and Kramers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzmaster and jaguars, the new Jacksons and Kramers?

I love offsets but it is kinda reminding me of the 80's with all the superstrat craziness.

Am I wrong? Is Fender milking dry the offset cow?

Discuss.

(ESL maybe in full effect)

Originally Posted by IRG:
    "reunula speaks the trooth"

no
    {O,O}
    (__(\
    " "

Comment

Not IMHO. In fact, I'd say they're finally giving people what they've been asking for, at least in terms of the new Squier VM models that are supposedly shipping in July. There are several "traditional" Strats and Telecasters in the Squier lineup, but until the new VM's come out, all Squier has had for Jags were "inspired by" type designs... and outside of the J Mascis JM, the same holds true for Jazzmasters as well.

Other than that, what else is there? Johnny Marr's Jag, but no one would bat an eye if someone came out with yet another Strat sig model. There is also the 50th Anniversary Jaguar, but that will be gone next year. Blacktops? Not fully "traditional", and there are Strats and Teles in that line too, so again, it's not like Fender is focusing exclusively on offsets.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I kind of agree with Phil.

I DO think they mutilated the cow when it comes to every possible way to ruin an offset, but now they're just tapping the utter on doing it right.
        http://myspace.com/hotmessization
        http://brochu.bandcamp.com

- SPAM -
        Fender HRD White Lightning - Limited run of 800 - PM me
        Two Celestion Seventy 80 speakers - 16ohm - $100 for the pair

Comment

fair enough.

Originally Posted by IRG:
          "reunula speaks the trooth"

Comment

I don't know about being the new Jacksons and Kramers (maybe though, kind of catering to the new 'mainstream indie rock' set), but it was weird walking into Gtr Center and seeing all of these models displayed by the front door instead of a bunch of Les Pauls...I didn't mind that much though, being an offset lover.
            JUST CALL ME CHOUT.
            Completed successful transactions with deadbob166, jmgruber, viking2, Belt, snowden
            Gear: Guitar > Pedals > Amp

Comment

no matter what they do they will always be second rate

Comment

I think it's great they're offering a variety of offsets. For years it was just Strats and Teles, and more Strats and more Teles.

The do run the risk of over-saturation, though.

I just think they're trying to make viable alternatives to the old standbys, which I can respect.

Comment

it's kinda like saying "bald with a goatee is the new mullet". nothing will replace the mullet imo. mullet is the top of the scale, sure bald and goatee is lame, but not mullet lame.

Comment

sure bald and goatee is lame

bald + anything = lame

Comment

Comment

A skullet is god-tier.

Comment

personally i think the offset movement has just had a longer and more tedious lifespan. i don't think it is even remotely close to the superstrat craze.
                          And
                          if you think about it, popular offset users are Finally being recognized, just in the last 4 years, of their influence on music(in relation to producers of the actual instruments) -
                          j. mascis
                          elvis costello
                          thurston moore
                          lee ranaldo
                          johnny marr
                          Post Modern Southern Sonic Prepared Concrete Annihilation.

Comment

Not now. But in five years or so? Probably. Just in time for Jacksons and Kramers to become the new Jazzmasters.
                            Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Comment

I wish they would do a telemaster type guitar that wasn't a custom shop model.... that would be awesome..
                              Member of the SG Army

Comment

Working...
                              X