Big box ehx vs small box ehx

Amigo

• Members

There's differences too guy. There's big box ehx then sorta medium boxish? (normal muffs, small clones) then there's XO sized pedals and then there's them itty bitty nanos.

Someone make an EHX size vs toan graph please.

• Members

there is only one 'small clone' get that. (while you still can)

the nano clone sounds not much like a small clone and the neo clone sounds a lot like it, but neither sounds just like a small clone to me.

also the small clone has it's jacks on top and the neo on the sides so horizontally you only save a few mil in space.

on the whole 'vs' debate some of the die-cast pedals sound great, others not so much but I wouldn't worry about "letting the wiring/components inside work better...less constriction." or the old SMD arguments. :lol: I recently repaired a Diamond tremolo for a mate, it was all SMD and i thought it sounded really great. Generally I prefer the old style but I think I'm listening with my eyes a little too you know.

• Members

FWIW the Big Boxes have metal jacks that allow for the circuit to get grounded to the chassis which would cut down on stuff like RF interference and noise. In the small die cast cases they use plastic jacks so the circuit isn't grounded. Instead they put caps/ferrite beads in the circuit path to filter out the noise. It's in the signal path at all times too so it's not true bypass. I don't know if there's evidence that the method they use in the smaller boxes is any worse, but I just feel more comfortable when the circuit can get grounded to the chassis.

• Members

FWIW the Big Boxes have metal jacks that allow for the circuit to get grounded to the chassis which would cut down on stuff like RF interference and noise. In the small die cast cases they use plastic jacks so the circuit isn't grounded. Instead they put caps/ferrite beads in the circuit path to filter out the noise. It's in the signal path at all times too so it's not true bypass. I don't know if there's evidence that the method they use in the smaller boxes is any worse, but I just feel more comfortable when the circuit can get grounded to the chassis.

yeah, I do agree with this to an extent, the circuit is supposed to be grounded to the chassis by those little spring things inside but saying that I've had a few xo's with buzzy noise problems for whatever reason ... also the big box are much easier to fix and mod which is handy.

Archived