ableton dudes actually...

• Members

wut

so you want one track to have overdub enabled simultaneously while you also press play on another track? - and do you mean track or clip?

Yes yes. Like i want to be able to hear the track as soon as i hit the record button so there is no space since i haven't figured out how to edit waves yet.

And it's a track not clip

• Members

I don't entirely comprehend what you want to do. You can set a count-in on the metronome when you press record. Would that help, or am I completely off the mark?

Ok, so when you do that the recording starts, but the rhythm isn't playing. So it's almost impossible to follow chord changes

• Members

Okay think like a guitar playing chords right? So lets say you have your guitar playing chords in the background in a verse. If you wanted to overdub with a lead you would have to press both buttons in like 1 millisec. Just curious if there is a record/play all button or something.

• Members

Okay think like a guitar playing chords right? So lets say you have your guitar playing chords in the background in a verse.
If you wanted to overdub with a lead you would have to press both buttons in like 1 millisec.
Just curious if there is a record/play all button or something.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. I'd record the chords on one track, create another track for the solo, then record onto that track. The first track should be playing as you record the second track.

• Members

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. I'd record the chords on one track, create another track for the solo, then record onto that track. The first track should be playing as you record the second track.

How would you be able to know when the chord changes were happening. Lets say you recorded the first track with a 1 sec pause in the beginning. How would you know exactly how to line it up perfect?

• Members

I'd remove the pause so the recording starts on the first beat, and drag it back afterwards if it was a part of the song. Alternatively make the first chord start on the first downbeat of the metronome after the pause.

• Members

I'd remove the pause so the recording starts on the first beat, and drag it back afterwards if it was a part of the song. Alternatively make the first chord start on the first downbeat of the metronome after the pause.

Ohhh. Okay. The other thing is i'm trying to do a loop. It's a lot easier then playing the same chords for 10 minutes straight. How do you guys match the loop up perfect so there is no cut?

• Members

Just use the built in looping instrument. Works the same as a looper, once you record your first loop it figures out the tempo for you and you can base your whole project around that. Once you have the first loop recorded you can just drag it into a blank clip position and away you go.

• Members

Just use the built in looping instrument. Works the same as a looper, once you record your first loop it figures out the tempo for you and you can base your whole project around that. Once you have the first loop recorded you can just drag it into a blank clip position and away you go.

yeah, this is one way to do it.

• Members

Wow thanks!

• Members

;)

this reminds me of myself about a year ago, when I first installed Ableton and started to use it, in the first month it was so daunting I couldn't get it, now, a year later, I'm still a n00b

the basics are pretty intuitive once you're a bit more familiar

on the Ableton page, there are a couple of helpful demo videos to get you started

I also did the built-in learning courses

have fun

• Members

Move the track monitor thing along the timeline so its at the start of the chord progression, when you press "play" it will go from that point.

At least I THINK thats what youre trying to do.

Archived