Replacement for mah AC-30 and Pro Jr...

thom

• Members

Just sold the Pro Jr. AMAZING recording/home amp, but it doesn't take loud fuzz rape real wel. I'm taking my AC-30 C1X to an amp tech, might need new tubes/bias, etc...

The AC-30 Sounds great at home at moderate volumes, in fact with the right guitar it sounds stunning impo. But it's noisy and squeecky as hell when I turn it up, I think maybe the tubes are goin microphonic on me. If the chek-up doesn't fix the pseudo-dirty muffled tone as well as the uncontrolable feedback and humm, it's bye bye AC-30.

Already looking into my options, really don't want to spend more than whatever I'll fetch for the AC-30.

-Superb cleans.

-30 or 40 watts

-Some sort of half power switch or similar feature would be a huge bonus.

-Useable on-board dirt, or else at least a great pedal-friendly clean channel.

-2x12. Though I guess my experience with 10" speakers is too limited to rule out anything at this point.

No need for reverb, and though an fx would be nice, I'd probably hardly ever use it.

I'm open to everything, I'm not afer a particular sound I wanna nail. I could probably make anything work as long as there's a nice thick responsive clean base to start from...

Any ideas?

• Members

What's a poor man's Mesa LoneStar? Or an affordable plexi'ish combo?

First and most obvious candidates I thought of: '59 Fender Bassman ri (slightly too big/loud) or a Deluxe Reverb (might not have enough headroom and oomph). The hot rod series reviews I read are very mixed to say the least.

I'll wait to see if the amp tech'll bring the AC30 to life, but if he doesn't, and I can't find a good deal on a Classic 30, I don't really know what else to look at...

• Members

What's a pore man's Mesa LoneStar? Or an affordable plexi'ish combo?

First and most obvious candidates I thought of: '59 Fender Bassman ri (slightly too big/loud) or a Deluxe Reverb (might not have enough headroom and oomph). The hot rod series reviews I read are very mixed to say the least.

I'll wait to see if the amp tech'll bring the AC30 to life, but if he doesn't, and I can't find a good deal on a Classic 30, I don't really know what else to look at...

I've heard the Mesa Express 5:50 is Lonestar-ish, has a 5/25/50 watt settings. I had one for a bit, it's a decent but not great amp, quite generic sounding with a bit of hiss on the clean channel. My Traynor YGL Mark III replaced my old AC30, big great cleans - better than a Fender Twin. But it's big and heavy, heavier than an AC30 and is higher wattage (80 watts) but has a good master volume and takes pedals very well. I'd take a Traynor YBA-1 over a 59' Fender Bassman LTD, the YBA falls between a Plexi and Bassman.

• Members

Gibson RVS30VS: Seems to have it all, and aestheticly it sure as hell takes the cake. Rare and pricey around these parts though.

'60s Bassman: Had one, my buddy still has one too. Not enough clean headroom. Nice grit when cranked though, it just breaks up too fast for what I want.

Trayor: Not too familar with the brand, I'll check out some specs and demos. But they're also a lot harder to find on the local used market than your average mrshll/vox/fndr/orange/mesa etc brand amps...

• Members

I've got a 30RVS - zog's ballz and all that, but heavy as sin. Takes pedals like she's paid to do, and the cleans are there (just don't boost the crap out of it with yer Timmy or whateverboutiqueyoujusthappentohave outta reflex).

If that's not your cuppa, consider a PV VTM-60...the cleans can be great (will require some caps to clean her up) and the price should be lower. Big noisy sludgecore bands can't be all wrong...the love loudass cleans. Also, no 1/10th power switch so buy an attentuator with the $$ you save by buying used Hartley gear.

Archived