New malekko omicron spring

• Members

The two Pots have been upgraded and as a result are firm and twist with a solid reliability.

I never knew that was a problem with the chicklet? I owned one for a spell and never thought they were cheap quality.

The Malekko Spring is a classic pedal that is now manifested in its true glorious form with
all the bells and whistles one would expect

:freak:

• Members

I loved the Chicklet but got rid of it because the cables on my PP2+ would never stay in place. It is like the hole wasn't big enough or it was too deep. Same way with the vibrato that I had.

EDIT: I had a Beavis and Butthead styled laugh when I read "power jack hole" on the PGS page.

• Members

{censored} Malekko. I had three of their products and all had reliability issues. Customer service sucks too, there, I said it.

I've had three. Sold two and currently selling a third. I never had reliability issues with them and never contacted their customer service so I can't comment on that. I like Malekko stuff, just haven't found anything that really works in my setup (aside from the E600D).

Upgraded pots : never had a problem with the old ones

Neither did I in terms of functionality and reliability, but some people apparently complained about how they were a little wobbly - and I did point that out in a review. I know Josh is a fan of the concept of Kaizen (continual improvement) so it was something he wanted to try to change if possible, even though the old ones actually work fine.

Upgraded switch : good call... the chicklet will pop when you turn it on

Yup. But I've only really noticed it with the Chicklet, and not really on the other Omicrons. Weird. Again, I know it was something that bugged Josh and that he wanted to fix.

Enlarged power jack hole : uhh

Apparently it can be an issue with some plugs. It's never been a problem for me. :idk:

Shin-ei Echo Reverb Master

http://effectsfreak.com/effect/shin-ei/er-23_echo_reverb_master/

6fb262a1ed24e5c9be7af3af169e046a.jpg

Thank you for the information and pics. :cool:

I've never seen one of those before.

That's awesome. :phil:

I wonder what they use for the "echo" part of the equation. I think that's a spring tank of some kind at the top. Interesting. They must be pretty rare beasts.

Sorry for the thread hijack - I just was curious. I figured it had to be a reverb unit of some kind.

• Members

Looks like it only has a reverb driver circuit and no BBDs, so the "echo" could be name alone, as there is only input gain controls and a mix control labelled "echo".

• Members

...but OT, I have dealt with the Malekko peeps, and Josh personally, in the past (both effects and modules) and they have been great. 616 is one of my fave modulation pedals, even though it is an analog delay. Look forward to hearing the Spring.

There's one with slightly different graphics and front panel mounted I/O on Ebay now for about $470 BIN. 220V though. You'd need to use a transformer with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110869428823+

There's a couple of nice pictures over on Bart's site - you can really see the guts clearly. AC powered. Might be moddable, but you'd need a new transformer... easier just to use an external one. Looks like dual inputs on one side - marked 600 L and 50K H, and a 50K "line input" on the second. I don't know how many people will want one to run a mic straight into it, but it would seem capable of doing so, assuming you use a dynamic mic and not a condenser - at least not unless the condenser uses an internal battery / external power supply instead of relying on phantom - which this pedal obviously doesn't supply. Probably better to feed it a signal off an aux send from your board or DAW, or as a guitar / amp effect.

It sounds kind of cool. Definitely a spring 'verb! :lol: Seems like it might overload fairly easily.

[video=youtube;ZptI49fAl-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZptI49fAl-Y&feature=relmfu

Upgraded pots : never had a problem with the old ones

Upgraded switch : good call... the chicklet will pop when you turn it on

Enlarged power jack hole : uhh

BTW, it's also supposed to be quieter and have a wider reverb bandwidth - IOW, they supposedly made it sound even better than the Chicklet. We shall see. I don't have a Spring Chicken, so I can't compare that, but I do have a Chicklet, so I may be able to do a side-by-side of the two of them.

• Members

I have owned several Malekko pedals: the Trem and three 616's. Why did I own three? Because they always held their resale value, so I collected them when I found them at a good price. All excellent in sound quality and build quality.

• Members

Looks like it only has a reverb driver circuit and no BBDs, so the "echo" could be name alone, as there is only input gain controls and a mix control labelled "echo".

yes, some of the old 70s units that are mij do say echo. so its a little lanilei like deal. psychedelic? like brash is probably the better term. japan still has alot of old spring reverb units from the 70s/80s and theyre still really cheap. I have 2 right here..

• Members

OK, well mine came yesterday. I'll just paste what I wrote over at TGP earlier:

I got mine yesterday. At first I was excited, then disappointed...

I have not played a Spring Chicken but I have a Chicklet that I A/Bed it with. Here are my observations.

As far as basic stuff, the switch definitely pops less and the power adapter hole is slightly larger than the Chicklet.

I like the sound of the reverb decay better on the Spring when you play something staccato, listening to the reverb decay alone. It has a less pronounced pre-delay than the Chicklet, and a little less "bouncy" of a spring sound, more smooth.

That said, I think my original notes sound more clear with the Chicklet while playing a passage with reverb in the background, whereas the dry melds into the wet more with the Spring. I might actually like the Chicklet tone better for that reason.

Now here is the kicker...the Spring is supposed to be lower noise, but the one I got is actually SIGNIFICANTLY noisier than my Chicklet. With the mix at noon, I can hear a distinct wash of background noise with the Spring that is not present on the Chicklet. With the mix maxed out, it is even louder. Even at noon it is loud enough to be a nuisance when playing alone.

Archived