Being a musician kind of sucks.

• Members

The love/hate relationship with your own music makes it impossible to tell if something is any good or not.

I guess I just need to play live or something.

I thought at some point I'd be satisfied with something, but the more I practice the higher my standards go. :facepalm::lol:

• Members

Yes, go play live. When I picked up a fiddle for the first time, it was only 4 weeks of daily practice before I attended my bluegrass open session with it. I knew enough about chord progressions and the structure of most bluegrass music when someone would yell out the key of some song I had never heard of and just went for it. I made plenty of mistakes, but in that environment, with plenty of other people making mistakes, it was a glorious time. Laughing with each other, playing music. It was worth every minute and made playing the fiddle incredibly fun.

Go. Play. Live.

• Members

Always play with people better than you when you can....its both humbling and inspiring.

I go thru phases (I'm in one right now) where I hate what I write, everything I hear either pisses me off or makes me want to quit (cos ill never be that good) and I have ideas but nothing pans out. So yes I know the love/hate thing :lol:

• Members

rehearsing, writing and performing are talents that become innate after years of pragmatic practice that hone your ability to the point where fruitful creation becomes as natural as a gymnast relying on her muscle memory

it requires desire, patience, suffering and finally submission to the fire inside and you will eventually come to realize that the blossom of your effort will not come in the form of a poignant lyric, clever melody or memorable tune but rather the acquisition of a mint electric mistress that had a super low BIN because the seller wasn't paying attention when they posted it

• Members

There are people far better than I. That said - you'll always be your own worst critic. Playing live is the best (when it goes well). Playing live is in the moment - if you mess up, that moment's gone as soon as it came so long as you know how to recover; either by hitting everything perfect after, or laughing so the crowd knows that you know you messed up and that you don't care...

But those nights when you're on... You'll play stuff that you swear didn't come from you and that you think you'll never be able to replicate. But the more you play, the more often that happens. You'll still have your trainwrecks, but those nights when everything's clicking... Man! You know it, the the band knows it, and the crowd knows it. And then that moment's gone - but you'll always remember it. No better feeling :thu:

• Members

practice hard. learn scales, do excercises, study harmonic structure, learn what all of the intervals sound like.

play hard. jam with people, forget rules, apply your knowledge, get drunk.

play in front of people. nothing is so humbling and exciting as putting your music out there to be enjoyed/hated.

• Members

i was thinking about how much more "successful", in the financial/career sense I'd be if I wasn't into music. I dropped $70k that I just paid off on music school, lost the love of my life, and time I spend could be used to get more clients at work. Plus the $10k+ I have wrapped up in gear and all the space I need to store it.

And in the end...it doesn't even matter:

[video=youtube;1yw1Tgj9-VU]

Archived