Just how versatile are Rickenbackers?

woolyh

• Members

Shopping around for a second guitar and thought maybe a Ric 330 would be nice.

It's in my budget but is it a good choice if your only going to have two guitars? Like can it cover more bases than just jingle jangle Beatlesque Smithery?

• Members

I only got to play a 330 once, but I really really liked it. My unqualified observations:

It's going to sound like a Ric no matter what, but it still has some growl to it. The fretboard and the pickups let you play a lot more complex chords with some distortion as it still sounds pretty clear/clean. I like that you can blend the pickups too. I bet if you added compression to your signal and blended in the neck pickup enough you could get a nice chunky rhythm sound more than "jangle".

The only reservation I had was that it's not very easy to do lead playing/bending/soloing because the compact fretboard and small frets.

The stock 330 has what are called high-gain pickups in it; they're capable of rawer, heavier tones than the much lower output vintage approved "toaster top" pickups. My 610, which also has high-gains in it, is a fantastic guitar for raunch and roll, with a great sound when overdriven or distorted. It jangles nicely too - just roll off the volume a bit or play it into a cleaner amp.

IOW, IMHO, Rics are much more sonically versatile than they're often given credit for.

• Members

I have a 620 with the high gain pickups and I think it's very versatile - it covers a lot of the same ground as my Tele (which really surprised me the first time I played it with a band). The pickups can really get into P-90 territory, though the output is fairly low in comparison to real P-90s (so similar sonic profile, but it doesn't hit your amp as hard). Plus, they are beautiful guitars . . . go for it!

• Members

Ive never tried one with vintage toasters....how are they with dirt for example?

I have only tried a few Rics but they have all been of vintage variety... In my limited experience they seem to play / sound better running into a high headroom amp (Fender Twin, Traynor YBA-1A, Peavey Classic 50). When I have attempted to play them through my low wattage combos (Dr. Z Maz 18, Gibson Super Goldtone, Reeves Custom 18) they sound lifeless and brittle. Perhaps its the higher output or some other factor but like I said in my limited playing experience.

My buddy Charles swears by his Ric and its hard to argue against Guy from Fugazi.

In my opinion they are quite ugly and I hate the necks.

Archived