No announcement yet.

Just how versatile are Rickenbackers?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how versatile are Rickenbackers?

Shopping around for a second guitar and thought maybe a Ric 330 would be nice.

It's in my budget but is it a good choice if your only going to have two guitars? Like can it cover more bases than just jingle jangle Beatlesque Smithery?
    Originally Posted by RoboPimp

doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Go watch the Unknown Hinson cover of Manic Depression on Youtube.
    He's using a 620 but you get the point. Much more than jangle.

Comment

I only got to play a 330 once, but I really really liked it. My unqualified observations:

It's going to sound like a Ric no matter what, but it still has some growl to it. The fretboard and the pickups let you play a lot more complex chords with some distortion as it still sounds pretty clear/clean. I like that you can blend the pickups too. I bet if you added compression to your signal and blended in the neck pickup enough you could get a nice chunky rhythm sound more than "jangle".

The only reservation I had was that it's not very easy to do lead playing/bending/soloing because the compact fretboard and small frets.
      Good Deals: Hangwire, mhuxtable, Travybear

Comment

The stock 330 has what are called high-gain pickups in it; they're capable of rawer, heavier tones than the much lower output vintage approved "toaster top" pickups. My 610, which also has high-gains in it, is a fantastic guitar for raunch and roll, with a great sound when overdriven or distorted. It jangles nicely too - just roll off the volume a bit or play it into a cleaner amp.

IOW, IMHO, Rics are much more sonically versatile than they're often given credit for.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Rics go from here:

to here:
          Good deals with: Holymountainman, zombiecpm, leesa, PeelingPaint98, VVarlocked, Honkridge, brandnewzo, GorillaSalsa, Chaos Realms, 3 chord me, Faldoe, EBennetts, Gunner Recall, Ugly Casanova, moot, Facing Failure, unicornwarrior, knives490, dandy13, smgbad, Invader.CC, Lonely Raven, almost enough, MadMax808, julianstoked, tattoedsailor, Gradeburn, lostgoonie, jimtalkbox, bzrkrage

Comment

I have a 620 with the high gain pickups and I think it's very versatile - it covers a lot of the same ground as my Tele (which really surprised me the first time I played it with a band). The pickups can really get into P-90 territory, though the output is fairly low in comparison to real P-90s (so similar sonic profile, but it doesn't hit your amp as hard). Plus, they are beautiful guitars . . . go for it!
            deals with: -Juggernaut-; Shooto; CicadaSilence; Cheebus; 59Vampire; hivedestruction; dotlikeimpact; xjordanx

Comment

Comment

do you pronounce it rick-en-baaaackker or rick-en-bahhhker
                yep

Comment

More jangle I guess, but a great clip

Comment

Probably not an endless amount of folks here who love the band, but I rather like the rock tones Daniel Johns gets live here (rick 12string).
                    BLAW!!

Comment

Me personally? I use the second one as the pronunciation. It's a ack sound (as in "backer"), not a long A (as in "baker") type of sound.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Well, this is a ric 330:
                        http://soundcloud.com/cjmventer/cjmventer-mr-coffee

I don't think it's relegated to jangle. It also does a great hollowbody blues and jazz sound on the neck pickup or is just great for clean sounds in general. Awesome guitar and super easy to play.
                        www.shoepedals.com

Comment

I guess I pronounce it "rickin-bawker" as that's what my accent dictates :|
                          Good Deals: Hangwire, mhuxtable, Travybear

Comment

I guess I pronounce it "rickin-bawker" as that's what my accent dictates :|

I used to say Ricken-Bauker (like Bach the composer). I am prolly wrong.
                            BLAW!!

Comment

Paul Weller, Pete Townsend and Guy Picciotto didn't have any problems bringing the rock on 330s.
                              my band Bloody Mammals on facebook and bandcamp

Comment

Working...
                              X