So, Compressors...

• Members

Should I get one? I certainly don't want to add any artificiality to my sound. I want to keep my guitar and amp sound as natural as possible. See my sig for what I'm running. Looking for kind of a Band of Horses, Explosions in the Sky type of clean sound.

I realize some like comps and some don't. It's cool if you don't but please say why you don't.

Here are some potential candidates:

-Barber Tone Press

-Diamond Comp

-Keeley Comp

• Members

I tried a Phil Tone and found that the Gain saturation was always present - even with the knob all the way off, if kinda bled through. Also thought it was too squishy.

Barder is damn good as is the Diamond.

I use a compressor to add sustain - good for swell chords into pitch shifting effects.

Good for tapping, evens out the notes and makes them a little sharper.

I use a DOD FX-80b that is pretty sweet, no blend control but still pretty transparent. They can be had for pretty cheep too. Not too noisy either for a budget comp.

• Members
what makes u say that? i thought it did what it says
:idk:

It does do what it says. It adds a really farty sounding distortion over your clean signal. It's not usable at all IMHO. The philosphers tone germanium might be a different story, but all around i stay away from it.

• Members

I like compressors for a kind of boosted clean lead tone sometimes. My first one was the Guyatone ST-2 and that was a cool compressor and a lot of people seem to like them. If I were you I would go for an mxr Dyanacomp over a Keeley cuz I think the Keeley is just too subtle. Dyanacomps have been an industry standard for years. That way you can check out a decent compressor and then decide if you want something less squishy.

• Members

It does do what it says. It adds a really farty sounding distortion over your clean signal. It's not usable at all IMHO. The philosphers tone germanium might be a different story, but all around i stay away from it.

Agreed. I have yet to find a useful application for the dirt one this puppy.

• Members

Wampler ego comp allows you to mix in the amount of compression to your dry signal.

A couple of my friends swear by the Diamond comp.

I also have a Philosophers Tone and when I back off the grit there is no trace of it in my sound.

Mine also has a factory-installed germanium mod.

• Members

Barber Tone Press hasn't left my pedalboard for years. Everything that Barber makes is very transparent. I use the Tone Press to enhance the percussiveness of clean tones, add sustain and to smooth out and add sustain to distorted stuff.

My experience with comps is limited to mostly vintage stomps (and my Joe Meek British Channel in my home studio). I've owned a Ross Compressor, MIJ Boss CS-2 and a DOD Milk Box. The Barber beats 'em all by a long shot.

• Members

CS-3 for me. Thin sounding, noisy and really squishy when you want it to. I use it as an effect, not as a subtle "studio" tool, and I don't wanna spend $$$ on an analogman bi-comp or Wampler Egocompressor.

I had a Pigtronix ADSR Attack/Sustain for a while, which is overkill (both in features as in price) when you just need a compressor (which it does really well actually), and very meh if you want a good SG-1 type clone.

Archived