Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Compressors...

Should I get one? I certainly don't want to add any artificiality to my sound. I want to keep my guitar and amp sound as natural as possible. See my sig for what I'm running. Looking for kind of a Band of Horses, Explosions in the Sky type of clean sound.

I realize some like comps and some don't. It's cool if you don't but please say why you don't.

Here are some potential candidates:
    -Barber Tone Press
    -Diamond Comp
    -Keeley Comp

Check out the MI Audio Compressor, too.
    This sig space for rent

Good deals with: big Idiot, crowquill, DylanWilde, twanguero, big_cat, starmansam, christianatl, nd1377, gigant0r, cmog, SweetOblivion, GAS_KING, aussy, BHz_econo, light_years, WeStartToDrift, TheQuietWilds, seblo_15, loosegroove

Comment

If you want it to be natural why would you want to compress it?! You're being silly.
      My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

What're you trying to do with a compressor?

Comment

What're you trying to do with a compressor?

I don't really know. I guess I am a big silly.

I suppose increase sustain of clean notes? Fatten up clean playing?

School me.

Comment

School me.

I don't wanna!

Comment

Philsophers tone. Very transparent endless clean sustain on notes too. I love it!

Grit knob is practically useless though.
              yep

Comment

I like the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone but I am looking to try out a Barber Tone Press at some point this summer.

I think you can probably get by without it, but personally, I like that it adds some extra clarity at times. I need to futz around more with the PT though.
                FS/FT:

Blackout Effectors Mantra - Black. $140 shipped to the lower 48.

Good dealings with: Conky, Barney Steele, Orbis Mortis, LWatford-2, Blakemore Effects, Aaron SS, Juri, High Gain, FoxMan, IRG, Orange Worker, Panther King, BHz_econo, 9520575, Hangwire, Doug Deeper, SH333, Dylanwilde, frenchji, rossta1, Computicus, ToonHollow

Comment

Grit knob is practically useless though.

what makes u say that? i thought it did what it says

Comment

I tried a Phil Tone and found that the Gain saturation was always present - even with the knob all the way off, if kinda bled through. Also thought it was too squishy.

Barder is damn good as is the Diamond.

I use a compressor to add sustain - good for swell chords into pitch shifting effects.
                    Good for tapping, evens out the notes and makes them a little sharper.

I use a DOD FX-80b that is pretty sweet, no blend control but still pretty transparent. They can be had for pretty cheep too. Not too noisy either for a budget comp.
                    Decolonize

Comment

what makes u say that? i thought it did what it says

It does do what it says. It adds a really farty sounding distortion over your clean signal. It's not usable at all IMHO. The philosphers tone germanium might be a different story, but all around i stay away from it.
                      yep

Comment

I like compressors for a kind of boosted clean lead tone sometimes. My first one was the Guyatone ST-2 and that was a cool compressor and a lot of people seem to like them. If I were you I would go for an mxr Dyanacomp over a Keeley cuz I think the Keeley is just too subtle. Dyanacomps have been an industry standard for years. That way you can check out a decent compressor and then decide if you want something less squishy.

Comment

I don't really know. I guess I am a big silly.

I suppose increase sustain of clean notes? Fatten up clean playing?

School me.

Ebow.
                          My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

I play mostly clean stuff and I have a space on the board. Just weighing options. I was toying with the idea of running vocals through one as well.

Comment

I play mostly clean stuff and I have a space on the board. Just weighing options. I was toying with the idea of running vocals through one as well.

pm's bro. check em.
                              yep

Comment

Working...
                              X