If you were to integrate a multi effects pedal into your rig for modulation...

IRG

• Members

Mostly modulation purposes, would you go Line6 M5, Line 6 MM4, or Zoom G3?

The MM4 is only modulation, it's big, and I'd probably go used with it, but it doesn't seem like a very good value anymore. M5 has it all, modulation plus other stuff. And the G3 has it all too, plus a looper and drum effects which I could see using. The biggest issue with it for me, is only mono input, whereas the m5 has stereo ins/outs. I want to integrate it with my TC Electronics HoF and ibNova, both which are stereo in/out. So likely the g3 would go before the Nova (HoF is last in chain). I also have a Headrush that is actually the very last in the chain, used as a looper into one channel only. Not ideal, but it's ok.

The M5 has no looper, and only 1 effect at a time, and the screen sucks compared to the G3. Any reason to choose it over the g3? Maybe the modulation effects are better? Any extras on either pedal might get some use, but I'm by and large good, just want something new to play with. might also use as a practice tool for late night playing/headphones, so the g3 seems better here again. Anyone else trying to integrate a multiFX into their rig, anything else to look?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mostly modulation purposes, would you go Line6 M5, Line 6 MM4, or Zoom G3?

The MM4 is only modulation, it's big, and I'd probably go used with it, but it doesn't seem like a very good value anymore. M5 has it all, modulation plus other stuff. And the G3 has it all too, plus a looper and drum effects which I could see using. The biggest issue with it for me, is only mono input, whereas the m5 has stereo ins/outs. I want to integrate it with my TC Electronics HoF and ibNova, both which are stereo in/out. So likely the g3 would go before the Nova (HoF is last in chain). I also have a Headrush that is actually the very last in the chain, used as a looper into one channel only. Not ideal, but it's ok.

The M5 has no looper, and only 1 effect at a time, and the screen sucks compared to the G3. Any reason to choose it over the g3? Maybe the modulation effects are better? Any extras on either pedal might get some use, but I'm by and large good, just want something new to play with. might also use as a practice tool for late night playing/headphones, so the g3 seems better here again. Anyone else trying to integrate a multiFX into their rig, anything else to look?

If the M5 is anything like the M9, then you'll find that it's really only the delay effects that are stereo. In terms of pure sound quality, the modulations on the G3 are much better. The chorus sounds are excellent and the vibrato and vibe options are very good too.

As you're looking for a modulation box and you've got the delays sewn up with the iB Nova and the HoF, then I personally would use the G3 on one amp and not the other. I run my stereo setup with a Boss CE-2B on the left amp only. Overall sounds much better that way with a wet and dry amp alongside one another. Take stereo outs from the Nova, send one direct to the Hof, take the other through the G3 before going to the HoF.

• Members

Magicstomp

This was my first thought too, as I use one on my board. However, I don't know if it would fit the OP best. I don't really use modulation much, so I haven't investigated the options with the Magicstomp that much (though there are some cool patches that I've played with a bit). I love the Magicstomp for delay, reverb, and weird pitch effects though.

• Members

having tried the m9, rp1000 and tc nova system and selling them all, i would probably go with the G3 for a few months and realize how happy i am right now with no pedals. i kinda want a multi again just for lulz when messing around by myself but in a band setting i have found i am much a better player and help the band a lot more when i am not worrying about effects that very few in the audience will actually notice.

• Members

I would go with the Zoom G3 for my guitar rig. The primary reason being that the Zoom uses a standard Boss-style 9V connection -- the other options have special power adapters. My Godlyke PowerAll has more than enough mA's to power it along with my tuner and fuzz pedal pedal.

• Members

I consider multi-effects a trap for me these days, you get it and then you start playing around with all the options and at the end of the day you spent 12 hours twiddling around and playing 0 hours guitar.

• Members

I consider multi-effects a trap for me these days, you get it and then you start playing around with all the options and at the end of the day you spent 12 hours twiddling around and playing 0 hours guitar.

this, I tend to HATE effects with too many features. I'm way too fiddly when it comes to multi effects. The bottom line is I want a pedal that I know sounds good and will sound good all the time. Whenever I have a pedal that has too many features or different sounds, I'm constantly changing it and I eventually just get fed up and take it off my board.

• Members

Part of being a musician is knowing your equipment. Investing the time the know the extent of the potential in your effects is time well-spent. Budget that time like you would practicing chords, tapping, songs, whatever. You never when a song may come up that needs a certain effect-sound, that you will then be able to provide, but only because you spent the time learning what your equipment can do.

• Members

this, I tend to HATE effects with too many features. I'm way too fiddly when it comes to multi effects. The bottom line is I want a pedal that I know sounds good and will sound good all the time. Whenever I have a pedal that has too many features or different sounds, I'm constantly changing it and I eventually just get fed up and take it off my board.

This was my experience with the M9 too. But I'm at the point now, where I think it could work within my system, and then might be useful all on its own too. So leaning towards the G3 for this reason.

• Members

I find the exact opposite. With both the Zoom G3 and the Boss GT3, once I find a sound I like, it stays and I play a lot more. Something like the G3 is perfect as you get enough tonal options without going into the land of the insane tweaking a la Eventide stompboxes.

• Members

If the M5 is anything like the M9, then you'll find that it's really only the delay effects that are stereo. In terms of pure sound quality, the modulations on the G3 are much better. The chorus sounds are excellent and the vibrato and vibe options are very good too.

As you're looking for a modulation box and you've got the delays sewn up with the iB Nova and the HoF, then I personally would use the G3 on one amp and not the other. I run my stereo setup with a Boss CE-2B on the left amp only. Overall sounds much better that way with a wet and dry amp alongside one another. Take stereo outs from the Nova, send one direct to the Hof, take the other through the G3 before going to the HoF.

Thanks, and yeah, the modulation effects are more important to me at the moment.

This is interesting" "Take stereo outs from the Nova, send one direct to the Hof, take the other through the G3 before going to the HoF." I see what you're doing here. I was going to have the G3 before the Nova, using the stereo outs to go to the stereo ins of the Nova, and then the stereo outs of the Nova to stereo ins on the HoF. But you are suggesting putting the G3 after the Nova for 1 channel (main channel, which would be my AC15) and then both outs of the G3 to the inputs of the HoF. By doing this, the looper would also go to both amps. Then I could probably eliminate the need for the Headrush altogether.

How is the tremolo on the G3? I like my current tremolo, not sure I would eliminate it. Also you mentioned the vibe being good, but I tend to like my vibe before my dirt, currently using an inexpensive Cool Cat vibe. But it could be cool to have vibe both before dirt, and after dirt. Same with phaser, i use a Small Stone before dirt. Also the G3 has an expression pedal input, that could be handy.

• Members

is the m5 really a multi? i know it has a ton of good stuff available but when you can only use one of them at once it doesnt really seem like a multi in the truest sense of the definition to me.

I think it fits multi, in the sense that it has multiple effects in one box, which it does. But yeah, it is limiting too, in that only one at a time. But I guess you can make your patches and just toggle up and down to your heart's content.

• Members

Also, if anyone wants to post pics of their board incorporating one of these pedals into their system, please do so. I'm curious where you put in the chain, and the cables being used, etc. HeartfeltDawn gave me an idea I hadn't thought of before which is cool.

• Members

I have an M5 and the B3. I like the B3 better not only because of the better quality of most effects but because of the quality of the unit. M5's have a nasty habit of software glitches in my experience. I do like the verbs better on the M5 but that is the only aspect that it is better IMHO.

EDIT: FWIW I guess I have not had the B# long enough to compare reliability, but it is pretty easy to find stories of M5's breaking and not to many of the Zoom.

• Members

If you want true stereo I/O, the only pedals I can think of that have it are the Modfactor, the TC Nova Modulator, and a few Hardwire pedals (phaser, trem & chorus). The Nova will also allow use of two effects at once, unlike the Modfactor.

• Members

This is interesting" "Take stereo outs from the Nova, send one direct to the Hof, take the other through the G3 before going to the HoF." I see what you're doing here. I was going to have the G3 before the Nova, using the stereo outs to go to the stereo ins of the Nova, and then the stereo outs of the Nova to stereo ins on the HoF. But you are suggesting putting the G3 after the Nova for 1 channel (main channel, which would be my AC15) and then both outs of the G3 to the inputs of the HoF. By doing this, the looper would also go to both amps. Then I could probably eliminate the need for the Headrush altogether.

How is the tremolo on the G3? I like my current tremolo, not sure I would eliminate it. Also you mentioned the vibe being good, but I tend to like my vibe before my dirt, currently using an inexpensive Cool Cat vibe. But it could be cool to have vibe both before dirt, and after dirt. Same with phaser, i use a Small Stone before dirt. Also the G3 has an expression pedal input, that could be handy.

I use chorus a great deal and run a stereo setup using two Peavey Bandits going direct into the power amps. The pedals go like this:

Dirt pedals--> Diamond compressor--> passive splitter

Split A--> Boss CE-2B--> Bandit A power amp

Split B--> Bandit B power amp

That's the basic setup. I've stuck the G3 onto split B many times as chorus on one amp and delay on the other sounds really good. Also it's nice to have reverb on one amp when using dirt and the other amp going without reverb with the same dirt.

G3 trem: it's good. There's not many trem pedals I've liked, the Fulltone Supa-trem being the clear winner out there (didn't like the Diamond trem or Semaphore at all). The G3 trem options are good. What I like about the G3 is that the effects seem very clear without being harsh or 'too digital'. The Line 6 equivalents seemed to mush up quite easily to my ears. The G3 spring is also rather good.

G3 expression pedal: very easy to link to whatever effect you want. I can honestly say I've read the manual for five minutes and no more.

• Members

I wish that Boss made something in the same size as the m9 or G3...

I have a M5. Does the job.

Yes. Boss keeps making the GT series bigger with more gimicks. But what they need to do is making something smaller with better quality sounds. The Zoom multi's all have higher bit-rates than Boss, the delay's and reverbs really shimmer. I'm still using an old Boss GT-3 along with lots of external stomps, because I like to be able to turn two or three effects on or off with just one stomp and control perameters with the expression pedal on the fly. The GT-3 is also smaller than the rest of the GT line (just 18 inches across). If Boss freshened up that concept I'd be all over it. A nice compact multi with great stereo effects.

The Zoom G5 looks pretty good but it's still basically separate stomps all stuck together, so you can't switch a bunch on or off with one switch. I also use a Line 6 M9, it's got some great sounds in there, but still hasn't replaced the GT-3.

• Members

Yes. Boss keeps making the GT series bigger with more gimicks. But what they need to do is making something smaller with better quality sounds. The Zoom multi's all have higher bit-rates than Boss, the delay's and reverbs really shimmer. I'm still using an old Boss GT-3 along with lots of external stomps, because I like to be able to turn two or three effects on or off with just one stomp and control perameters with the expression pedal on the fly. The GT-3 is also smaller than the rest of the GT line (just 18 inches across). If Boss freshened up that concept I'd be all over it. A nice compact multi with great stereo effects.

The Zoom G5 looks pretty good but it's still basically separate stomps all stuck together, so you can't switch a bunch on or off with one switch. I also use a Line 6 M9, it's got some great sounds in there, but still hasn't replaced the GT-3.

I prefer Boss to others, but yes they need to step up.

• Members

I love my GT-3. Had the GT-8 and GT-10 and neither lasted. Boss really do need to up their ante.

Archived