Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were to integrate a multi effects pedal into your rig for modulation...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were to integrate a multi effects pedal into your rig for modulation...

Mostly modulation purposes, would you go Line6 M5, Line 6 MM4, or Zoom G3?

The MM4 is only modulation, it's big, and I'd probably go used with it, but it doesn't seem like a very good value anymore. M5 has it all, modulation plus other stuff. And the G3 has it all too, plus a looper and drum effects which I could see using. The biggest issue with it for me, is only mono input, whereas the m5 has stereo ins/outs. I want to integrate it with my TC Electronics HoF and ibNova, both which are stereo in/out. So likely the g3 would go before the Nova (HoF is last in chain). I also have a Headrush that is actually the very last in the chain, used as a looper into one channel only. Not ideal, but it's ok.

The M5 has no looper, and only 1 effect at a time, and the screen sucks compared to the G3. Any reason to choose it over the g3? Maybe the modulation effects are better? Any extras on either pedal might get some use, but I'm by and large good, just want something new to play with. might also use as a practice tool for late night playing/headphones, so the g3 seems better here again. Anyone else trying to integrate a multiFX into their rig, anything else to look?

Magicstomp

Comment

I wish that Boss made something in the same size as the m9 or G3...

I have a M5. Does the job.

Originally Posted by IRG:
      "reunula speaks the trooth"

Comment

flanger hoax :P

Comment

M5
          my band Bloody Mammals on facebook and bandcamp

Comment

Mostly modulation purposes, would you go Line6 M5, Line 6 MM4, or Zoom G3?

The MM4 is only modulation, it's big, and I'd probably go used with it, but it doesn't seem like a very good value anymore. M5 has it all, modulation plus other stuff. And the G3 has it all too, plus a looper and drum effects which I could see using. The biggest issue with it for me, is only mono input, whereas the m5 has stereo ins/outs. I want to integrate it with my TC Electronics HoF and ibNova, both which are stereo in/out. So likely the g3 would go before the Nova (HoF is last in chain). I also have a Headrush that is actually the very last in the chain, used as a looper into one channel only. Not ideal, but it's ok.

The M5 has no looper, and only 1 effect at a time, and the screen sucks compared to the G3. Any reason to choose it over the g3? Maybe the modulation effects are better? Any extras on either pedal might get some use, but I'm by and large good, just want something new to play with. might also use as a practice tool for late night playing/headphones, so the g3 seems better here again. Anyone else trying to integrate a multiFX into their rig, anything else to look?

If the M5 is anything like the M9, then you'll find that it's really only the delay effects that are stereo. In terms of pure sound quality, the modulations on the G3 are much better. The chorus sounds are excellent and the vibrato and vibe options are very good too.

As you're looking for a modulation box and you've got the delays sewn up with the iB Nova and the HoF, then I personally would use the G3 on one amp and not the other. I run my stereo setup with a Boss CE-2B on the left amp only. Overall sounds much better that way with a wet and dry amp alongside one another. Take stereo outs from the Nova, send one direct to the Hof, take the other through the G3 before going to the HoF.
            Excellent deals done: cmloeffler - GDan - mr benn - kpd78 - ArrMatey - Melx - Daryl Chaney - rememberduane - Barnaby, Hardly - Kid_A - plecoman - mattybigfro - Loobs - Hanglow - Free The Guilty - gjhardwick - Tengo - hangwire - Ancient Mariner - Headlow - ZoomRMC - uncle psychosis - daysofspeed - chisa - JBJ - Mozart82 - Rogsrevenge - theboywho - SG1 - Cirrus - Kayzer - Teahead - AF-100 - stella_blues - woolyh -

Comment

Magicstomp

This was my first thought too, as I use one on my board. However, I don't know if it would fit the OP best. I don't really use modulation much, so I haven't investigated the options with the Magicstomp that much (though there are some cool patches that I've played with a bit). I love the Magicstomp for delay, reverb, and weird pitch effects though.
              This MH -2 does not face the person in search of a beautiful thing such as the new article.
              A lamp goes on and off at the time of on and off.
              It works perfectly as much as it is surprised to be an old model.
              As for the thing 30 years ago, it can't think of it.
              -stagecostumejpsantabo, ebay scribe

good deals w/ Cadd99, jmgruber, onerailunder, bass_econo, hangwire, TweedBassman, letsgocoyote, bhmcc, pepperduck, Jumbo Fuzz

Comment

having tried the m9, rp1000 and tc nova system and selling them all, i would probably go with the G3 for a few months and realize how happy i am right now with no pedals. i kinda want a multi again just for lulz when messing around by myself but in a band setting i have found i am much a better player and help the band a lot more when i am not worrying about effects that very few in the audience will actually notice.
                strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

I would go with the Zoom G3 for my guitar rig. The primary reason being that the Zoom uses a standard Boss-style 9V connection -- the other options have special power adapters. My Godlyke PowerAll has more than enough mA's to power it along with my tuner and fuzz pedal pedal.
                  - ChadEndorsing Artist: Cave Passive Pedals

Comment

Id go m5.

been considering one for myself just to have something other than reverb and delay, but I'm sure ill never actually pull the trigger. still... seems like a nice option for modulation variety
                    I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll

Comment

I consider multi-effects a trap for me these days, you get it and then you start playing around with all the options and at the end of the day you spent 12 hours twiddling around and playing 0 hours guitar.

Comment

I consider multi-effects a trap for me these days, you get it and then you start playing around with all the options and at the end of the day you spent 12 hours twiddling around and playing 0 hours guitar.

this, I tend to HATE effects with too many features. I'm way too fiddly when it comes to multi effects. The bottom line is I want a pedal that I know sounds good and will sound good all the time. Whenever I have a pedal that has too many features or different sounds, I'm constantly changing it and I eventually just get fed up and take it off my board.

Comment

Part of being a musician is knowing your equipment. Investing the time the know the extent of the potential in your effects is time well-spent. Budget that time like you would practicing chords, tapping, songs, whatever. You never when a song may come up that needs a certain effect-sound, that you will then be able to provide, but only because you spent the time learning what your equipment can do.
                          - ChadEndorsing Artist: Cave Passive Pedals

Comment

this, I tend to HATE effects with too many features. I'm way too fiddly when it comes to multi effects. The bottom line is I want a pedal that I know sounds good and will sound good all the time. Whenever I have a pedal that has too many features or different sounds, I'm constantly changing it and I eventually just get fed up and take it off my board.

This was my experience with the M9 too. But I'm at the point now, where I think it could work within my system, and then might be useful all on its own too. So leaning towards the G3 for this reason.

Comment

I find the exact opposite. With both the Zoom G3 and the Boss GT3, once I find a sound I like, it stays and I play a lot more. Something like the G3 is perfect as you get enough tonal options without going into the land of the insane tweaking a la Eventide stompboxes.
                              Excellent deals done: cmloeffler - GDan - mr benn - kpd78 - ArrMatey - Melx - Daryl Chaney - rememberduane - Barnaby, Hardly - Kid_A - plecoman - mattybigfro - Loobs - Hanglow - Free The Guilty - gjhardwick - Tengo - hangwire - Ancient Mariner - Headlow - ZoomRMC - uncle psychosis - daysofspeed - chisa - JBJ - Mozart82 - Rogsrevenge - theboywho - SG1 - Cirrus - Kayzer - Teahead - AF-100 - stella_blues - woolyh -

Comment

Working...
                              X