What's a 3 Knob B K Butler Tube Driver worth?

• Members

Yes, I know this is a loaded question and the real answer is that it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

Having said that, I have a buddy that wants me to sell his Tube Driver for him and I really have no idea what it's worth. His is the three knob version with an attached two prong power cord and it's in decent shape with just a few little scrapes and bumps. I'd probably call it a 7 out of 10, maybe even an 8? It's fully functional but it could probably use a good cleaning.

EDIT: So it turns out that it's a 4 knob model labelled like this:

Tube Driver

Real Tube Overdrive

Concept & Design : B. K. Butler

Chandler Industries, Inc

San Francisco

Made In USA

B. K. Butler gave me the following info as well,

"Here is the build date: October 24, 1986, first in the batch.

Made in my basement lab in Salina, Kansas.

Best wishes,

BK Butler"

Here's a pic for anyone interested, not mine though- http://www.kitrae.net/music/Pulse%20Era%20BK%20Butler_Chandler_%20Tube%20Driver%20B.jpg

• Members

updated my incorrect info

ahh, (4 knob) they're worth a lot more. if it's a first issue they were going for $500.00 at one time, the market for vintage gear is {censored} right now so I'd expect $150.00-$200.00. the only guys that seem interested in them are Eric Johnson, David Gilmour freaks. I think Curt Kirkwood from the Meat Puppets is famous for using one too. I've had one for a long time, great pedal.

• Members

ahh, (4 knob) they're worth a lot more. if it's a first issue they were going for $500.00 at one time, the market for vintage gear is {censored} right now so I'd expect $150.00-$200.00. the only guys that seem interested in them are Eric Johnson, David Gilmour freaks. I think Curt Kirkwood from the Meat Puppets is famous for using one too. I've had one for a long time, great pedal.

That's a little more in line with what we were thinking. Thanks.

• Members

:lol:

i'm looking forward to it.. hoping it'll save me lots of time hunting down the 'right' drives. plus i can compare it directly with the big box Rat and TS-9. plus hopefully it'll make a couple of other pedals i have redundant. i'm a bit concerned it'll sound too processed and unnatural with playing dynamics after having had an M13 before. but we'll see. i like that i can have 3-band EQ on all these distortions aswell.. bring on the mids! (say it in Dale Winton's voice)

• Members

:lol:

i'm looking forward to it.. hoping it'll save me lots of time hunting down the 'right' drives. plus i can compare it directly with the big box Rat and TS-9. plus hopefully it'll make a couple of other pedals i have redundant. i'm a bit concerned it'll sound too processed and unnatural with playing dynamics after having had an M13 before. but we'll see. i like that i can have 3-band EQ on all these distortions aswell.. bring on the mids! (say it in Dale Winton's voice)

Well, the dm-4 is the reason I sold the rat so it's kinda a coincidence that you've got one. I compared the rat, tubescreamer and fuzz face models to the real pedals and there really isn't much difference in the sound. I've been using it live and on recordings and I think the extra eq makes it more flexible/ lets you match the sound to your amp better.

Archived