2 amps, one cab?

• Members

I picked up a 5e3 clone off of ebay a couple weeks back. The thing is wired for an 8 ohm load, but the cabinet I have is a 2x12 with 8 ohm speakers, so I would have been running a 4 ohm load, which I knew had the potential to damage the amp. I tinkered around and removed the connection to one of the speakers, thus matching amp and cab at 8 ohms. It sounds great, but hot damn this thing is louder than I was expecting! So not quite a bedroom amp, but I think it will be my new gigging/stage amp. Upon further analysis, I'm wondering if I could get a clean/dirty 2 amp setup going...:idea:

I was thinking it would be cool to completely separate the inputs on the cabinet so that one input went to one speaker, and the other input to the other, so I could essentially have two amps feeding into one cabinet. Like a 5 or 18 watt Marshall for dirt and the 5e3 for Fender cleans. Any of you guys ever do something along these lines? Anything I should beware of or look out for?

5e3.jpg

• Members

It shouldn't be a problem to split the signal as long as:

a) power rating is matched. Any speakers with power rating less than the amp will blow the speakers.

b) have them wired each to a separate output.

you could always think about this idea:

Wire it with 3 holes and a switch. The switch goes from mono to stereo, the 2 holes on the stereo side is for each speaker while the hole on the mono side is for both so you can get the best of it all.

Kinda like a big 4x12 marshall cab!

Does it Make sense, Greg?

• Members

I strongly recommend checking out Celestian's website. They give all kinds of good article with everything you could possibly need to know.

Personally, I prefer using two separate 112 cabinets, but that's because I'm a small dude and hate moving large thing onto the stage and back home up the stairs. I like making separate, lighter trips.

• Members

Of course you have a Carvin cab, you San Diegan. I do too. But it's looks like I'm going to buy a Traynor cab from a forumite tomorrow (to go with my Traynor head).

If only I could bring myself to like Carvin guitars... Are you going to get rid of the Carvin cab when you get the Traynor? I could probably take it off your hands. :D

• Members

A few companies have sold "split" stereo / dual input cabinets over the years.

Didn't most of those have internally isolated speakers? I think you could run into phase cancellation problems if you only powered one of two speakers in a closed back cabinet.

• Members

Didn't most of those have internally isolated speakers? I think you could run into phase cancellation problems if you only powered one of two speakers in a closed back cabinet.

You will get phase cancellations only through the combination of certain speakers. It is famous to have certain speaker combo but the whole idea of splitting your cab to have a 2x12 / 2 1x12 is totally possible if you wire it well.

Greg, if you just run the 5e3, then most of the speakers should be able to handle your 5e3.

Yes, ideally you'd want two separate "compartments" - one for each speaker. Otherwise, just as you said, there will likely be additional phase issues within the enclosure.

• Members

It shouldn't be a problem to split the signal as long as:

a) power rating is matched. Any speakers with power rating less than the amp will blow the speakers.

Not necessarily true. Mechanical failure will only occur when enough wattage is applied to push the speaker farther than it was designed to go. Distorted waveforms are especially nasty because they clip across wide spectrums, pushing the speaker more violently.

For cleans, as long as the speaker sounds clean, you're fine.

• Members

Not necessarily true. Mechanical failure will only occur when enough wattage is applied to push the speaker farther than it was designed to go. Distorted waveforms are especially nasty because they clip across wide spectrums, pushing the speaker more violently.

For cleans, as long as the speaker sounds clean, you're fine.

You are correct, dkerwood. I should have been more clear in my explanation but yes, you are totally right.

• Members

Maybe I read the OP wrongly, but:

I was thinking it would be cool to completely separate the inputs on the cabinet so that one input went to one speaker, and the other input to the other, so I could essentially have two amps feeding into one cabinet.

When I read this, I think of literally taking the two preamp stages, the running them into two separate PI stages and finally two separate power stages (each with an individual speaker). If you did this, you would have the ultimate freedom in channel-switching amps, as you could chose the EQ/PI/output sections per your desires...not too bad since you've got one EQ/PI/PowerAmp already in the 5E3 chassis.

An very well-thoughtout power-distribution/grounding scheme would be important, to keep high-gain or saggy noise off the clean side.

You'd have to up the rectifier/filtercaps (maybe even solit them....yes, split them)

Of course, you'd need a second pair of PI tube(s), plus the second output powertubes and OT.

JanusAmps

• Members

I've played an Ampeg cab like this. Worked just fine.

It'd be interesting to run both at once. One amp a little bit cleaner and the other a bit dirtier with the cleaner one slightly lower in the mix.

Also, stereo effects would be very neat through that.

Archived