Renting warehouse space for bands?

• Members

Has anyone done this? I need something small, 500 square feet maybe. I want a place to put me and my friend's music production company and space my band can jam + rent rehearsal space to other bands. Anyone here do this? How much a month should a small warehouse like this cost?

• Members

Around here there isn't such thing as a 500 sqft warehouse. Industrial spaces here are upwards of $10/sqft/year... Plus NNN. Lots a monies and usually you don't find much under 5000 sqft if you don't want immediate neighbors. So you'd then have to build in rooms and wire it to code. I don't want to discourage ya... Here is a good website for looking at spaces:

http://www.loopnet.com

• Members

Thanks. I know there's some small warehouses next to the airport I live near, I've even played gigs in them. People roll open the space, bands put on a show, everyone sort of parties out around. So they exist here, but I'm curious as to people's experiences. Do we have to soundproof it? What cost are we looking at?

Thanks for the link too

• Members

my band did it for awhile. it was great. we split it with another band and a DJ. since there were neighboring businesses we couldnt play between 8am and 6pm but we had all night and all day on sat/sun. dont forget that it takes some money and work to get an empty space with a concrete floor to sound good. we ended up making a room inside a room so to speak.

• Members

Landlords aren't typically very excited about renting a building out for practice spaces, At least in Olympia. There used to be one downtown, but it wasn't run very well and people were able to run amok. Since then no one has been able to find a suitable place with a landlord that is cool with it. If you end up renting out spaces you need to be very careful who you rent to, if you're trying to get a large spot it will end up being a full-time job.

• Members

I know people who rented storage spaces, and set up their band in there.

Probably only works in rural areas.

If a storage facility is in an industrial zone you can easily get away with it. If it is adjacent to residential zoned properties they won't let bands rent spaces. We used to practice in a storage unit next to a concrete block plant in Lacey, WA. Lacey is a horrible horrible town... but storage spaces are cheaper there.

• Members

My old band used to practice in a converted warehouse and it worked pretty well. Other bands practiced there often and it would get really loud from time to time.

It was an awesome deal and the drummer wound up keeping the space on his own when the rest of the band moved away. We used to pay, and I think he still pays, $150/month.

• Members

like everyone else said, it really depends on where you live and the space itself. in philly there are lots of converted warehouses rented out for artist spaces (varying in sizes from 100 to 5000 ft/sq or more) - lots of small businesses, bands and people who just live there rent them out. some landlords are cool with bands, some aren't... prices range anywhere from $.40 - $3 ft/sq.

Archived