No announcement yet.

OT: Coding/programming

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Coding/programming

I know it's an off topic but after nearly 8 years of not having touched any coding, I've come to a crossroad of my life where I understand that I won't put food on my family's table unless I get my ass back into coding. I haven't programmed/coded for a long time and I'd like to eventually get back into it.

I've started doing the tutorials on Codecademmy, a friend has recommended getting eclipse and working on an android tutorial which all seem interesting. Anyone else do this kind of work? I just think it could be something to get back into since It's so in demand at the moment.
    Spam:Selling:Nothing.WTB:Catalinbread Merkin FuzzGibson Maestro FZ-1 or amazing clone

A bunch of the MAPS dudez do.
    He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally Posted by Dolf

Decode: saying the things you wish you could say but you have tact.

Good deals with: I forget

Strat>LTD SR>Verbzilla>DT-10>VT-22

For Sale: OHNOHO Chk Chk Boom ($40)

Comment

C# and .Net, I'm using the PluralSight demos,
      Originally Posted by mdrake34

I still don't know what the **************** a haunting mids is, but what I do know is that I have never seen such an assortment of sandy, stinky, sopping wet vaginas e-assembled in one place in my life. It's like 300 The Decision-era Lebron's fighting over fuzz pedals.

Comment

I've made my way through a large part of the java codecademy stuff and thought it was all really awesome. It says there is a python section but I can't seem to find it.

I'm most fluent in stuff like FORTRAN and idl for comp phys stuff so java is pretty different for me (objects are particularly interesting).

Comment

Study fundamentals. By all means get some language/platform coding experience but set yourself up right to succeed. Learn effective TDD (Test Driven Development), Growing Object Oriented Software Through Tests is a good book on this. Learn and understand the SOLID principals (if you are going OO, FLUID if dynamic). Design Patterns using the Gang Of Four book. Understand the current architectures for the field you are interested in (MVC, REST (SOA), MVVM, etc). Know how the platform you use works at a lower level.

Most of all, have fun
          Chain: Fuzz Factory -> Screwdriver -> Mayo -> Humming Bird -> PS-3 -> TU-2 ->Lo-Fi Loop Junky -> Moog MF-104z-> El Capistan -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Rang III
          Guitars: Bastin Sport, Fender CS Strat, '79 Aria TS-600, Dano Baritone.

Comment

VB.Net, C, a bit of Eclipse, a bit of AVR and so on. .Net and Databases is where the money's at.

Comment

.Net and Databases is where the money's at.

Depends on what you want to do, do you want to work at a start up and get in on the ground floor, if so, JS, Mongo DB/CouchDB, RoR, etc are the way to go. I guess for me technology is a secondary concern, the concepts and skills to write effective software are far more important; frameworks, languages and the flavour of the month come and go, when I hire devs I look for fundementals.
              Chain: Fuzz Factory -> Screwdriver -> Mayo -> Humming Bird -> PS-3 -> TU-2 ->Lo-Fi Loop Junky -> Moog MF-104z-> El Capistan -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Rang III
              Guitars: Bastin Sport, Fender CS Strat, '79 Aria TS-600, Dano Baritone.

Comment

I'd start the basics before jumping into Android development. That framework is a little over-complicated. Learn basic Java and object-oriented programming first.

Comment

Python is a good language to learn - has lots of uses, nice and easy to use.
                  Drone-y instrumental guitar stuff
                  My experimental collab with Aimmar Cair - new AMBIENT EP out now!
                  My Photos

Originally Posted by Drifter182

whenever I see one of these threads I pictures Phils face at the back of a dim-light bar slamming his empty glass of gin and coke a bit loudly on the table muttering something about "....stupid band, always giving me a headache with thread titles....." he wipes his lips away in disgust and quietly walks into the night, wishing his Class 5 had black tape on it.

Comment

I'd learn to speak chinese

Comment

I'm a senior application systems analyst... which means I design and program in COBOL, Java, SQL, etc on the Mainframe.

Comment

Python is a good language to learn - has lots of uses, nice and easy to use.

That's one I'm going to start getting into. Looks like there is a lot of demand for it.
                        Spam:Selling:Nothing.WTB:Catalinbread Merkin FuzzGibson Maestro FZ-1 or amazing clone

Comment

I do a bit of coding. VB, C/C++, Python. Can't say I like it, but yeah, it's a pretty important skillset.
                          Originally Posted by Rainer Maria Rilke

Sound, no longer measurable
                          with sense of hearing. As if that tone
                          outstripping us on every side
                          were space maturing.

Comment

Python is a pretty easy and functional language to learn. The hardest part about coding sometimes is finding a project or goal to code for.

Comment

Been coding since 1980. Mainly embedded C++ for the last 12 years. Been a good occupation, but after 32 years it's getting a bit old. Nevertheless there's always money to be made.
                              "I used my psychic powers to investigate this and found it to be hogwash. I hate it when people make claims with no basis in science."

"If a problem is too difficult to understand the solution is to placate your ignorance with denial."

Tasty Licks
                              Secret Moment

Comment

Working...
                              X