Best octave fuzz

lorez

• Members

ahhahaah........................ the best octave fuzz......

it's impossible for me to choose one. i love my Shin-ei Companion, i love my Zvex Octane III, a Roger Mayer Octavia would be great if you like really bright velcro-y fuzz sounds, but if i had to choose only one i'd probably go for a good Superfuzz.

• Members

I still love the weird unpredictabilities of the MXR Blue Box. No it won't work well with chords, no it won't track very well, but it will sound cool as {censored}

I agree with this ---- It doesn't seem like the most useful pedal, but I don't think that anything really sounds like it. It basically hates everything and still sounds cool as {censored}. It's my stunt fuzz...

I like the Octafuzz a lot (pretty basic) and surprisingly, the Visual Sound Angry Fuzz. Never found one that tracks with chords.

• Members

I got to try ChristianATL's Octane lll the other day and I was really impressed.

ahah. when i got mine i had never even heard of it. a guy i know offered to clone it for me along with a RM Octavia in the same box for dirt cheap so i went for it.

what a fantastic pedal - now i wonder why there are not a lot of people using it. totally different from any other octave fuzz. some huge sounds to be had in there.

• Members

ahah. when i got mine i had never even heard of it. a guy i know offered to clone it for me along with a RM Octavia in the same box for dirt cheap so i went for it.

what a fantastic pedal - now i wonder why there are not a lot of people using it. totally different from any other octave fuzz. some huge sounds to be had in there.

that double octave clone you mention sounds awesome. Is the Octane (clone) circuit quiet, cause the real deal is noisy as {censored}.

• Members

that double octave clone you mention sounds awesome. Is the Octane (clone) circuit quiet, cause the real deal is noisy as {censored}.

i like it quite a bit, although the Octavia is too bright for what i usually do. i'm sure i'll find some uses for it though, with time.

.... noisy?...... not really, maybe it's inherent to the original unit itself or maybe something is wrong with his... mine is as noisy as any other fuzz pedal is noisy.

• Members

regarding octave fuzz pedals that work well with chords, they don't really exist. powerchords are fine with most, but root+5th chords almost always work well, more dissonant chords and stuff you might as well forget it, they turn into mush... there are some that work better than others - a good Superfuzz will work pretty well if you use it correctly (otherwise it will turn into a dissonant ring modulation hybrid), Roger Mayer Octavias work okay too, but you have to understand you'll always be very limited in this regard when using this sort of effect, whatever pedal you use. i've tried a lot of them and they've all had this issue so far with no exceptions.

for maximum effectiveness use as much volume from the pedal as you can and as much clean volume (some work well with an already dirty amp, most don't) in the amp as you can. the more speakers the better too.

I'd be super into the Octane III if it weren't over three hundred {censored}ing dollars. It sounds wonderful but that's far too much for me, personally.

get it cloned. more than worth it, especially if you play loud and are an hardcore fuzz lover.

sounds great, but charging 300$ for a fuzz pedal is pretty pathetic, really.

• Members

Even with the c-11 mod, the Blue Box volume drop sucks.

The reissue blue box I have doesn't have the volume drop without any mods. I swear if you pick through them you can find one that doesn't. Also I run compressors in my rig and a big muff after it religiously. Most do have a volume drop though........ maybe I got lucky.

P.S. My Fender Blender reissue DID have a nasty volume drop but after the vintage wiring mod it's stellar with the tone boost on or off.

• Members

get it cloned. more than worth it, especially if you play loud and are an hardcore fuzz lover.

sounds great, but charging 300$ for a fuzz pedal is pretty pathetic, really.

If I knew who would do it, I would ask them. I agree.

Archived