Koma Elektroniks

• Members

Heads-up - I just ordered these Koma pedals from Germany. They are having a really good sale until June 7, which brings the price down favorably in comparison with Moogerfoogers. Has anyone here used them? Can't wait to get my hands on them and patch them up with my moog stuff and homemade CV-controllable units.

komafamily.png

• Members

Discofreq has a pair and I want to try 'em myself
the clips I heard, well, I got the impression these pedals are really suited for sound mangling, so I'm intrigued to find out if these are up to par with the Moogerfoogers

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've got both Komas sitting here in my garage

on loan from discofreq

still haven't tried them

(discofreq gave me a sh*tload of pedals to try and review)

so expect my review sometime this year

Envy you with all my jealous heart.

And why did this thread have to return? I had forgotten about the gas this gave me before.

• Members

I hate it when people use k like this. :rage:

Well, it's a German company, so it might be proper spelling for them.

This thread came back because I was bitching about them not arriving yet after almost a month. They left Germany on 6/8 and have been sitting in us customs purgatory since.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally arrived last night (first package got lost in customs in Europe).

Koma.jpg

I haven't even scratched the surface with these in the few minutes I've had to play with them. The delay is not so much a delay as it is a signal shredder. Most of the delay time range is in severe overclocking mode and it is sick what this thing does. The filter is really versatile, especially with the sequencer that can simultaneously sequence the filter signal and patched external units.

I also got the Kommander, which packs 2 cv/gate IR sensors with 4 outputs in a single mxr-size pedal enclosure.

The Koma guys are super cool and very friendly. They are developing more crazy stuff right now, and looking for more dealers in the US.

• Members

welp, I tested both Koma pedals, meaning to write up a review for Effectsdatabase
I failed, because I was leaving on hols, and needed to return the pedals so I did not spend enough time with the Komas, these are extraordinary and complex pedals, that really need a lot of tweaking and I'd have to start from scratch to learn how to use these properly, I tried them on guitar and I actually thought they did not work that well, very loud and noisy, the delay (not your standard delay) had a whining noise and the filter had a background clicking going on that was annoying, and the sounds I got did not sound anything like guitar, but I'm sure that when these Komas are great tools to create beautiful noise.

• Members

Yeah, they are noisy. The delay does whine - it is the over clocking of the BBD chip with no filtering. There is a bit of signal bleed as well. I didnt hear what you describe in the filter- maybe it was something like an LFO ticking.

These are definitely not pedals for standard guitar playing techniques. The delay should probably not really be categorized as a delay because it really just rips things apart, although I've discovered some nice modulation at the shorter delay time by twiddling the knob or using the sensor. Analog style bitcrushing. I run the delay into the Moog delay and it really works well with it.

The filter can really fatten up a synth or drone. I'm still figuring it out.

Overall I'll take the noise in stride because I like the weird stuff they do, espeically with the cv jacks patched into each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived