The official Euro 2012 thread...

juri

• Members

schedule.jpg

groups.jpg

Can't wait to see the first game on Friday, I will be rooting for Greece. I hope my Dutch team will be able to move beyond the Robben Bayern debacle and kick ass...

Hup Holland Hup...

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No Turkey, no care... ;)

I'll definitely be glued to the TV. To be honest this is one of the better Euros in recent times. I think it's too hard to make an educated guess so I'm just going to go with some personal favourites. Of course you'd be stupid to discount Germany but I think the "outsiders" are England, Portugal and Poland.

Here are the 25-man squads for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_squads

I have a funny feeling if Portugal don't get too many injuries or suspensions they might surprise a lot of people. Really like the two fullbacks in Coentrao and Pereira when they work with Ronaldo and Nani on the wings... and in the middle they have some great central defenders along with holding players. I just hope they give Oliveira a go to lead the line instead of Almeida who I don't rate at all or Postiga who if I remember correctly when he was at Sp*rs he... sucked... to put it lightly, anyway :lol:

• Members

My expectations are quite high. I feel that the German squad is the best we've had in many years but that obviously doesn't mean it'll be a cakewalk.

I think Portugal will be a first round exit with Netherlands and Germany advancing to the next round...but we'll see. I'm pretty pumped.

• Members

I ain't going to be original, my fav are Spain & Germany. Honestly I don't have high expectations neither for France nor for the quality of the football that'll be play during this tournament.

Italy & Portugal are going to get raped.

• Members

i need to bet my results for the first round.

a weekly news paper here in austria makes again their "wuchtl wette" which is some slang for football betting

you register with your email for free, and can guess every result of every game before the game starts.

under the people who guessed right 400 sixpacks of beer will be distributed every game.

overall points are given for right winner, and right exact results. when the euro is over the top5 get overall prices, first is a weekend trip to last time euro champions capital madrid, spain.

at wm in south africa i was 3 times right and got once the six pack.

makes watching the games more interesting, and you don't risk to get bankrupt like in a real betting office :)

• Members

On paper Ireland are in the 'Group of death' and aren't expected to progress. But seemingly Italy aren't in a perfect mindset with the match fixing scandles rife in their camp to the point where the Italian Prime Minister has talked about suspending their domestic league for 3 years.

If we could pull good results out of the Croatia & Italian matches there's a chance as the Spanish match is probably a foregone conclusion.

Spain are still the strongest team in Europe - even without Villa or Torres on form, and are my tip to lift the cup again.

• Members

I'm spanish so you have to understand the joy I felt winning the Eurocup AND the World Cup.. man that was good.

For this Euro everyone in Spain is quite .. relaxed? We won it all so now we just want to watch our team playing a nice championship. I think we can get to quarter-finals, and then you just have to wait and see. Germany will be there for sure, as they have been recently. They would have won if Spain was not playing the best football ever! They are stronger than England or France.

I think Italy will also be there, they have such a scandal now on their league that they need to play good.. :lol: I guess netherlands will also be there, although I don't think anyone would care after the kick-boxing demo they did on the World Cup final. Portugal will not do much, as they depend on Ronaldo only.

Worst thing is that games will be 1 and 4am over here, it really sucks.

• Members

I dont think the build up in the U.K. has been as optimistic as I've seen in the past. Which is foolishly making me think we can slip through and actually do something. I'll never learn.

:lol:

Very true; the build up from an English point of view has been decidedly downbeat and pessimistic - from the timing of Capello's departure, to the FA appointing Hodgson to replace him rather than ("the people's choice") Redknapp, to dubious (and in some cases laughable) squad choices and player politics, everything points towards a disastrous tournament.

Usually all we need is a good result (like the win against Spain a few months ago) to get people all excited and citing England as potential winners.

But, with expectation and belief so low, with no real pressure, there's a growing sense that England could actually progress in the tournament! :facepalm::lol::rolleyes::eek::confused:;):):D:love:

• Members

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I figure I'll just pull for anyone other than Germany or Spain, for the sake of a surprising finish, because I can't imagine anyone winning this thing other than Germany or Spain.

Archived