Decibel 11 vs. Voodoo Labs Digital

• Members

I want to power the following:

Boss RE20

Boss EQ20

Boss RC20XL (probably in the future)

TC Electronics Nova Delay iB

I looked up the power requirements and I think the VL Digital would definitely take care of the show -- essentially 4 outputs at 400 mA a piece -- and I should be able to get one new for below sticker price. The catch is, the Decibel has way more additional power (obviously) but only two outputs that have 400 mA. From what I can gather, the Decibel should cover my needs but I want to make sure the effects listed above actually use the amount they are advertised at. For example, the EQ20 can sometimes be temperamental if not powered with more than 120 mA. Anyone experience this differently?

I'm leaning towards the Decibel 11 but any suggestions/observations I have not accounted for are appreciated. :wave:

• Members

Is the Decibel 11 actually on the market now? I haven't seen them physically, and still minimal advertisement.

The only problem w/ the VL Digital is the minimal isolated 9V taps. Unless you are equipping your board w/ another PSU, you would have to daisy chain your low mA effects. Another alternative to consider maybe the Cioks TC10, it has 1-400mA section, 1-300mA section and 2-200mA taps that you can bridge to achieve 400mA. The TC10 also has 4-100mA taps.

• Members

The Decibel Eleven Hot Stone Deluxe has two outputs at 400mA each, two outputs at 200mA each and four outputs at 100mA each.

We also make the Hot Stone HC which has four 400mA isolated outputs, each at 9 & 12V

Either one could meet you needs. The Deluxe has twice the isolated outputs and also has the variable voltage feature on two of the outputs. You can check out more specifics here http://decibel11.com/Hot-Stone-Power-Supplies.html

All products are currently available worldwide and can be ordered from the website.

Chris Hern

VP Product Development

Decibel Eleven

• Members

The Decibel Eleven Hot Stone Deluxe has two outputs at 400mA each, two outputs at 200mA each and four outputs at 100mA each.

We also make the Hot Stone HC which has four 400mA isolated outputs, each at 9 & 12V

Either one could meet you needs. The Deluxe has twice the isolated outputs and also has the variable voltage feature on two of the outputs. You can check out more specifics here

All products are currently available worldwide and can be ordered from the website.

Chris Hern

VP Product Development

Decibel Eleven

Any plans to release a bigger power supply - something along the line of the Cioks Ciokolate?

• Members

Is the Decibel 11 actually on the market now? I haven't seen them physically, and still minimal advertisement.

The only problem w/ the VL Digital is the minimal isolated 9V taps. Unless you are equipping your board w/ another PSU, you would have to daisy chain your low mA effects. Another alternative to consider maybe the Cioks TC10, it has 1-400mA section, 1-300mA section and 2-200mA taps that you can bridge to achieve 400mA. The TC10 also has 4-100mA taps.

I'm cool with essentially dedicating a power supply to my power hungry pedals, I am just wondering whether it makes more sense to have them all come from one source -- Decibel in this case.

I don't own any Cioks stuff but I get the sense it's a bit more expensive than I want to pay, am I way off on that? Sry, haven't checked their prices in a while.

• Members

I'm cool with essentially dedicating a power supply to my power hungry pedals, I am just wondering whether it makes more sense to have them all come from one source -- Decibel in this case.

I don't own any Cioks stuff but I get the sense it's a bit more expensive than I want to pay, am I way off on that? Sry, haven't checked their prices in a while.

The Cioks PSU are very well built. The biggest transition of going from the VL type PSU to the Cioks is the power cables, the Cioks using RCA plugs to connect to the PSU. The Cioks Pro series have more mA in most cases over the VL counterpart. In terms of price comparisons, the PP2+ sells for $169, the Cioks similar to the PP2+ is the DC8 sells for $170. The Cioks has 2-300mA taps to the VL's 2-250mA taps. The biggest difference is the accessory outlet in the VL, but the Cioks has the voltage option of running at 110V and 220V as opposed to purchasing a VL to your specific local needing either 110V or 220V.

Honestly, as good a unit as the VL PSUs are, they've somewhat missed the boat in terms of keeping up w/ the newer PSUs out there. They need to upgrade their units by providing more mA and voltage options of 110-220V. VL really missed the boat when they teased everyone w/ the launch of the "Versa" PSU that never materialized. Furthermore, rather than being the innovators of releasing new PSU to the market, they became reactionary. They would come up w/ a new PSU after others have already released a new product to meet todays power needs. To date, they still haven't produces a product to match what Cioks has put out like the DC10 and the TC10. Now, Cioks is releasing the Ciokolate in August, that is far more versatile than say the CAE MC-403.

• Members

The Cioks PSU are very well built. The biggest transition of going from the VL type PSU to the Cioks is the power cables, the Cioks using RCA plugs to connect to the PSU. The Cioks Pro series have more mA in most cases over the VL counterpart. In terms of price comparisons, the PP2+ sells for $169, the Cioks similar to the PP2+ is the DC8 sells for $170. The Cioks has 2-300mA taps to the VL's 2-250mA taps. The biggest difference is the accessory outlet in the VL, but the Cioks has the voltage option of running at 110V and 220V as opposed to purchasing a VL to your specific local needing either 110V or 220V.

Honestly, as good a unit as the VL PSUs are, they've somewhat missed the boat in terms of keeping up w/ the newer PSUs out there. They need to upgrade their units by providing more mA and voltage options of 110-220V. VL really missed the boat when they teased everyone w/ the launch of the "Versa" PSU that never materialized. Furthermore, rather than being the innovators of releasing new PSU to the market, they became reactionary. They would come up w/ a new PSU after others have already released a new product to meet todays power needs. To date, they still haven't produces a product to match what Cioks has put out like the DC10 and the TC10. Now, Cioks is releasing the Ciokolate in August, that is far more versatile than say the CAE MC-403.

Cool, thanks for the thorough answer.

Archived