Bass Fuzz Lounge: Down Low and Fuzzed Up

• Members

well...... i've used many, but i'll drop some favorites:

Shin-ei Companion - works amazingly well if it doesn't have a volume drop (i.e. the original, unaltered circuit)... sounds super deep, mangles your signal completely, but if you're looking at it in a band context it still gives you a deep, clear enough bass tone - obviously it reacts much differently than if you're using it with a guitar. a hint of synthi-ness in the tone too. insane bass tone. very recommended.

Melx V2 Fuzz - this isn't a very "fuzzy" circuit, but i've gotten some of the best tones on bass i ever got out of it. plug it in, use as much volume as you want on the pedal, then lower your tone knob and adjust the volume on your bass - this will sound as if you were using a pedal with a great clean blend. pure raunchy sweet dirt. if you have a good amp, SS or tube, doesn't matter that much, and especially if you're pairing it with a compressor, it sounds like the best bass tones you hear anywhere. PERFECT bass tone, if you use it right.

BAT Pharaoh - sounds amazing, very very versatyle with {censored}loads of volume. if i had to give an example, you should listen to Al's (OM) bass tone on Conference of the Birds - i've gotten close to that sort of tone playing through my GK 1001RBII and a 4x10 cabinet.

Big Muffs in general - these sound great and if you play loud and know how to EQ your bass amp they will sound amazing in the mix. they will work better with bass if they have a clean blend option, but not it is not a necessity.

• Members

The struggle is getting something that works well on it's own and in a mix.

BAT Pharaoh - This is a great all-around fuzz for bass for muff tones. This is something you could use all the time without tiring the listener.

Wooly Mammoth - This is another one that imparts a hint of synthi-ness to the tone but it can sound huge. Use the gate to keep tight definition in the mix. Sounds surprisingly good for genres where you don't traditionally hear fuzz bass so much (funk, pop, fusion, etc.)

• Members

I think the best distorted bass tones come from generic distortion pedals. I've never played a fuzz that I liked on bass, but i've never used a clean blend with a fuzz. The Tech21 Programmable Bass Driver is definitely the best tool I've ever used for shaping a bass tone though.

• Members

i read today that the bluebeard fuzz is taking a regular ol' NYC muff, changing the 500pf caps to 470, tying a 100pf cap and 1.5m resistor on the input to ground, swapping all the 1uF electrolytics out for 0.1uF film, then running a 100uF cap to ground from 9v+.

L-O-L

• Members

i read today that the bluebeard fuzz is taking a regular ol' NYC muff, changing the 500pf caps to 470, tying a 100pf cap and 1.5m resistor on the input to ground, swapping all the 1uF electrolytics out for 0.1uF film, then running a 100uF cap to ground from 9v+.

L-O-L

To be fair, though, that's pretty much the whole boutique game.

The struggle is getting something that works well on it's own and in a mix.

Very true. That's always an issue with fuzz and overdrive on bass.

Here's a suggestion that may help. :) For recording, sometimes I like to use a crossover to split the bass into at least low and high frequency bands, and then process them individually. Running the fuzz on the frequencies over ~200-500Hz while leaving the stuff below that unfuzzed can sound really cool, while not gutting the bottom end or leaving it muddy. Play with the crossover frequency until you find the balance you like. I find that this technique can allow you to use some fuzzes on bass that normally don't work so well because of what they do to the bottom, and it's relatively easy to do in your DAW and with reamping.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2154

• Members

Very true. That's always an issue with fuzz and overdrive on bass.

Here's a suggestion that may help.
:)
For recording, sometimes I like to use a crossover to split the bass into at least low and high frequency bands, and then process them individually. Running the fuzz on the frequencies over ~200-500Hz while leaving the stuff below that unfuzzed can sound really cool, while not gutting the bottom end or leaving it muddy. Play with the crossover frequency until you find the balance you like. I find that this technique can allow you to use some fuzzes on bass that normally don't work so well because of what they do to the bottom, and it's relatively easy to do in your DAW and with reamping.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2154

This is one of the reasons that I like to have a mixable clean through on my bass dirt pedals. I find this works best for both recording, and in a live mix. Phil does bring the knowledge here. :thu:

• Members

Phil is right. That's how I bass tracks as well.

Bass goes into DI and splits into two paths.

One path goes into the interface for a direct recording.

The other goes into whatever tube amp I have around. Which is usually mic'ed up with a SM57 or a Rode NT-2A.

The Tube and DI signals are then mixed so that the DI signal is handling everything below 400hz and the tube handles the rest.

If there is fuzz being used then it'll be one with a clean blend, usually my Bass Big Muff since that's the one lying around at the studio, on the tube path.

• Members

L-O-L

i might have to buy another NYC and get someone to do this mod for me.

might be simple, but it definitely works great. Bluebeard is fantastic, especially for bass.

how could i turn a LBM into a Bluebeard then? any tips?

• Members

before you run out and do this, i was looking at a v3 muff when i made that post, figured i'd follow up.

S&S mod from american muff reissue:

change pulldown resistor from 2.2m to 1.5m

tie 100pF cap on input to ground

change first three 15k resistors on 9v+ path to 10k

change next resistor on 9v+ path from 470k to 390k

change 510k resistor in first gain stage to 470k

change 1.8k resistor on lug 1 of sustain pot to 1k

change 10k resistor after 1uF cap from sustain 2 to 8.2k

change both 390R resistors to 100R

change both 22k resistors: from tone 1: to 39k, from tone 3: 100k

change 2k from Q4 to 2.2k

tie 100uF cap from 9v+ to ground

change all 1uF electrolytic caps to 0.1uF film

i guess its a little more involved than modding it from v3 specs, but i am 100% sure that is the mod. not really a whole lot of work, just a fair amount of words.

• Members

L-O-L

I still :love: my bluebeard :p i smash that signal into a megalith and jizz all over the place.

(I call pics of that buzzbox when it comes I see it has a comming soon X)

Archived