Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Fuzz Lounge: Down Low and Fuzzed Up

What's your favorite? How are you using it?

Discuss Bass Fuzz.
    WTS/WTT: Boss GT6B
    MXR Bass Di+

Like Dubstep/D&B? Check me out at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Foreignsik
    http://soundcloud.com/foreignsik

well...... i've used many, but i'll drop some favorites:

Shin-ei Companion - works amazingly well if it doesn't have a volume drop (i.e. the original, unaltered circuit)... sounds super deep, mangles your signal completely, but if you're looking at it in a band context it still gives you a deep, clear enough bass tone - obviously it reacts much differently than if you're using it with a guitar. a hint of synthi-ness in the tone too. insane bass tone. very recommended.

Melx V2 Fuzz - this isn't a very "fuzzy" circuit, but i've gotten some of the best tones on bass i ever got out of it. plug it in, use as much volume as you want on the pedal, then lower your tone knob and adjust the volume on your bass - this will sound as if you were using a pedal with a great clean blend. pure raunchy sweet dirt. if you have a good amp, SS or tube, doesn't matter that much, and especially if you're pairing it with a compressor, it sounds like the best bass tones you hear anywhere. PERFECT bass tone, if you use it right.

BAT Pharaoh - sounds amazing, very very versatyle with ****************loads of volume. if i had to give an example, you should listen to Al's (OM) bass tone on Conference of the Birds - i've gotten close to that sort of tone playing through my GK 1001RBII and a 4x10 cabinet.

Big Muffs in general - these sound great and if you play loud and know how to EQ your bass amp they will sound amazing in the mix. they will work better with bass if they have a clean blend option, but not it is not a necessity.
    "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

"play in church.. Jesus will provide reverb" - wiklund87

"Flaming Korg solos don't grow on trees." - big69

Comment

The struggle is getting something that works well on it's own and in a mix.

BAT Pharaoh - This is a great all-around fuzz for bass for muff tones. This is something you could use all the time without tiring the listener.

Wooly Mammoth - This is another one that imparts a hint of synthi-ness to the tone but it can sound huge. Use the gate to keep tight definition in the mix. Sounds surprisingly good for genres where you don't traditionally hear fuzz bass so much (funk, pop, fusion, etc.)
      Grind
      http://soundcloud.com/thekraken

Comment

Malekko B:Assmaster
        Blakemore Deus ex Machina
        ZVex Wooly Mammoth
        Ampeg Scrambler

I will post more when I remember them.
        —-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, friend.

Comment

never tried on bass, but I'm sure the skreddy supa would be awesome!
          Gear: Fender American TeleFender Thin-skin JMFender Vibroverb '63 RiToo many pedlolsGreat deals with: Henry_13 (x2), HeartfeltDawn (x2), loobs, theboywho, gambit (x2), ghjhardwick, Used_666 (x2), Loobs, brandnewzo, SG1 too many others I can't remember

Comment

Actually I found out Marc started marketing for bass! Great idea IMO.

Gear: Fender American TeleFender Thin-skin JMFender Vibroverb '63 RiToo many pedlolsGreat deals with: Henry_13 (x2), HeartfeltDawn (x2), loobs, theboywho, gambit (x2), ghjhardwick, Used_666 (x2), Loobs, brandnewzo, SG1 too many others I can't remember

Comment

Currently enjoying the demo tape fuzz on bass. enjoyed the boss FZ-2 as well. nothing else has done it for me, yet.
              Originally Posted by Naterel "All bands suck period"

Comment

Currently playing the Black Arts Toneworks LSTR. It's smooth and I can get it to cut through the band. I have also recently gigged with the Walrus Jupiter Fuzz which I can get to sound the same. Both are fantastic.
                Phil at Fat Tone
                www.fattoneguitars.com
                www.youphonic.com

Comment

Currently enjoying the demo tape fuzz on bass. enjoyed the boss FZ-2 as well. nothing else has done it for me, yet.

+1
                  "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

"play in church.. Jesus will provide reverb" - wiklund87

"Flaming Korg solos don't grow on trees." - big69

Comment

Any Big Muff with flat or boosted mids.

IE Oxide can cover what the Muff cant.
                    http://movingmachines.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I think the best distorted bass tones come from generic distortion pedals. I've never played a fuzz that I liked on bass, but i've never used a clean blend with a fuzz. The Tech21 Programmable Bass Driver is definitely the best tool I've ever used for shaping a bass tone though.

Comment

i read today that the bluebeard fuzz is taking a regular ol' NYC muff, changing the 500pf caps to 470, tying a 100pf cap and 1.5m resistor on the input to ground, swapping all the 1uF electrolytics out for 0.1uF film, then running a 100uF cap to ground from 9v+.

L-O-L

Comment

i read today that the bluebeard fuzz is taking a regular ol' NYC muff, changing the 500pf caps to 470, tying a 100pf cap and 1.5m resistor on the input to ground, swapping all the 1uF electrolytics out for 0.1uF film, then running a 100uF cap to ground from 9v+.

L-O-L

To be fair, though, that's pretty much the whole boutique game.

Comment

ampbeg schreabler an malkeooo bassssssssmaster ares da shiz
                            NEW STUFF FOR SALE! NOW WITH MORE FEELING!

Originally Posted by big_cat

hands down the most valuable forumite

Originally Posted by big_cat

I'm partly serious and fully erect.

Comment

Basic Audio Zippy in Horn mode sounds great on bass, but my current fave is a $uperPuma Contro-Fuzz which blends clean and fuzzed signal together.

peace,
                              missfortune (AKA Prof.Fuzz)

Comment

Working...
                              X