Modding Big Muff Pi for octave-up fuzz??

• Members

Is there an easy mod to turn the standard big muff pi into an octave fuzz?

I've already modded my muff with a tone bypass switch, 6-pos selector switch for each diode pair (silicon, germanium, bypass, and different LEDs), and three tone wicker switches (a different switch to lift each cap). But i never lift all three caps at the same time.... Take a look:

attachment.php?attachmentid=346228&d=133

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to turn the muff into an octave-up fuzz. I'd like to replace one of those cap-lift switches with an octave on/off switch.

Any thoughts? Any links to good instructions for this? I don't understand schematics, but i can follow directions written in plain english real well.

THANKS!!

• Members

sounds like what you did with it already would be cool, pics?

attachment.php?attachmentid=346228&d=133

The knobs in the bottom left and bottom right are the 6-way selector switches for diode pairs. The first pair effects the sound much more; switching diode types for the second one affects the sound minimally. Maybe i could put something more useful in that spot?

I dig the sound of my Frenchtoast fuzz with the octave on, but it ain't true bypass and i can hear it affecting my Traynor just being in my signal path, so i got the Muff to use for fuzz, but i really miss the octave!

• Members

Check it:
photo.php?fbid=834066147724&set=a.601786

The knobs in the bottom left and bottom right are the 6-way selector switches for diode pairs. The first pair effects the sound much more; switching diode types for the second one affects the sound minimally. Maybe i could put something more useful in that spot?

I dig the sound of my Frenchtoast fuzz with the octave on, but it ain't true bypass and i can hear it affecting my Traynor just being in my signal path, so i got the Muff to use for fuzz, but i really miss the octave!

sorry can't see it. copied the URL and went to it and all i got was a no-go facebook page.

• Members

I'm trying to think of the best way to explain it.

The simple answer is "No." There is not a way that I'm aware of to make the Big Muff circuit oct up.

BUT you can (if you have enough room inside) to bootstrap a circuit in parallel with the Muff that will do it.

• Members

The methods I'm aware of to get an octave up fuzz aren't as easy as changing a component or two... If you have room, maybe you could stick in a green ringer (or push me pull you or something else) before the big muff circuit.

Or make a true bypass loop for your french toast?

• Members

sorry can't see it. copied the URL and went to it and all i got was a no-go facebook page.

I think i got the pic up now.

Looks like I should either just build a bypass loop for my French Toast and any other pedals that come along that mess with the clean signal--orrrr I should get that BYOC kit for an octave fuzz.

• Members

Also, re: the 6T clipping switches.

From my experience with the Muff circuit, different colored LEDs really don't make that much of a difference. Can you tell a difference between them?

It might be worth it to try some MOSFETs or asymmetrical options for two of the LED positions.

Also, that cap in series with the diodes make a really cool difference as well. You could change the value of that with the same switch.

• Members

This is the octave circuit from the Foxx Tone Machine (a.k.a.Fulltone Ultimate Octave, Dano French Toast, Rx Elec Experience, etc.) isolated in pedal form. Use it with whatever your favorite fuzz is. They ain't cheap, especially compared to DIY, but can be had for a good deal used. . Otherwise, I believe there are schematics out there for DIY.

shop_by_brand.php?spic=1&id=199

• Members

Also, re: the 6T clipping switches.

From my experience with the Muff circuit, different colored LEDs really don't make that much of a difference. Can you tell a difference between them?

It might be worth it to try some MOSFETs or asymmetrical options for two of the LED positions.

Also, that cap in series with the diodes make a really cool difference as well. You could change the value of that with the same switch.

True, the different colored LEDs don't make much difference. It's unnoticeable when running through a tube amp at stage volume. So some day i'll do more experimenting with options like you suggest. I would like something that can pull off the real nasty, ugly assymetrical sounding fuzz i hear in indie rock i hear on the radio these days. Would asymmetrical diodes pull that off? Does "asymmetrical diode" just mean that i use two different diode values in one diode pair?

• Members

Yes. Also, diodes in series combine with each other. So, if you have, for example, one silicon diode going one way and a silicon plus a germanium going the other, it will clip asymmetrically.

I personally like using two or even three germanium diodes in series in my Big Muffs. This will give the same "feel" of the germanium clipping properties but not have the severe volume drop.

• Members

Yes. Also, diodes in series combine with each other. So, if you have, for example, one silicon diode going one way and a silicon plus a germanium going the other, it will clip asymmetrically.

I personally like using two or even three germanium diodes in series in my Big Muffs. This will give the same "feel" of the germanium clipping properties but not have the severe volume drop.

Cool! Thanks. This should make for some fun experimenting when a free weekend comes up.

Archived