Steinberger Guitars?

• Members

The new ones kinda blow. Trems don't stay in tune like they're supposed to and they just feel cheaply put together. The ones pre 1995 or so are {censored}ing fantastic. Some of the best guitars I've ever played. Really light weight and for some reason the lack of headstock just feels right. The trems literally never go out of tune on those.

• Members

I really dig the one Paul Masdival from Death/Cynic plays. It's like strat shaped. The original Transtrems that were on them were awesome. You could do all sorts of cool pedal steel sounding stuff, as it'd bend down all the strings down at the right pitch, simultaneously. Unlike a Strat/Floyd Rose bridge where all the notes would go totally out of tune with each other.

edit, this one:

gr4-3.jpg

I'd totally rock it. Very cool and unique. Never played an old one.

• Members

If you're buying a modern one one either go for the Hohner G3T or if you got the cash the Steinberger ZT3. If you got the cash and can find an old one, buy a composite one from the 80s (they're the best). The trem on the G3T is the R Trem. It doesn't transpose, but stays in tune really well. The ZT3 has a transtrem, but I don't know how it compares to the original (Steinberger is now owned by Gibson FYI). The 80s Steinbergers had a variety of trems and models, so its a matter of what is available and in your price range. I've never played a Spirit, but I have heard they can be poorly put together...

• Members

Old ones made in America.

The ones made in the '80s were made by Ned Steinberger's company (which were great), and then he sold it to Gibson who basically ignored it and it started going down hill.

New ones made/put together in Korea.

I think these are hit or miss - some are great and some not so great.

• Members

Steinberger is now owned by Gibson (who always owned MusicYo.com).

I owned a Spirit GM HSH for 6 years. Bought it mainly for traveling out of country with. Had to adjust truss rod every three months. It was a decent guitar. Every now and then I think of getting another but it's hard when you pay $175 at an estate sale and now people think they are collectible at $600.

• Members

They are really a great guitar if you get a real one and not one of the ones made after the Gibson takeover. I have played dozens and have owned two. I still have one that I use when space is at a premium if I'm driving somewhere or something.

The original ones were very expensive when they were new. I would doubt that you could buy one for under $2000 (which would be about $4000 today using the inflation calculator) and tons of people used them in all styles of music, just watch some 80s/90s videos. Everyone from Talking Heads to White Lion to Rush to the guy from Genesis to Allen Holdsworth, etc....

They took a little while to get used to and you either love or hate the look but they were an original design.

If I were looking for that style I would avoid the knockoffs (Hohrner, low end Music You Steinberger, etc...) and get an original one or an LSR or Klein which are probably better guitars based on the same idea.

Archived