OT: 1 guitar, $2K. Go!

dkerwood

• Members

Looking for a new guitar to replace my Epi LP, Mexi Strat, P90 equipped SG, and Ibanez hollow body. No Line 6. Looking at a Les Paul Trad Pro due to its coil splitting capabilities, but I'm open to ideas. Versatility is a plus. $2000 top budget.

• Members

I'd want to buy a Suhr Modern, but the budget's not high enough. (two thousand pounds on the other hand...)

...So I'd likely opt for a Rasmus/Suhr model, EB Silhouette or possibly Petrucci model, a nice strat or tele, possibly SG...

• Members

Gretsch Duo Jet. You can get a new one for far less than 2K. Spend the rest of the money on a bridge replacement, and TV Jones. You'd be surprised how versatile it is. Won't sound exactly like any of the guitars you're replacing, but can fill in for any of their contexts just fine. Twangy? Check. Thick rhythm tone? Check. Sparkle and chime? You get the point.

• Members

Did anybody suggest a guild s-100 and a tele yet?

no but it's a great idea

no, but it's a great idea

no, but it's a great idea

:D

• Members

Probably an es-335. I'm really more a fender guy, but nowadays all sorts of good teles/jazzmasters/strats/etc can easily be bought for under $1K. No reason for a medeiocre guitarist like myself to spend more than $800 on a telecaster:)

• Members

Why are you replacing those guitars with 1?

Streamlining. I don't play out as much now as I used to, and on the rare occasion that I do get a gig, I'm usually taking my LP or my Strat... MAYBE both. I just want a guitar that can get the thick HB tone, chimey SC tone, something quacky, screaming leads, but still darken up for that occasional jazz gig. I'll probably keep the Epi LP as a backup (because it's the best darn Epiphone I or anyone else has ever seen), but I'm getting to the point where it's not quite capturing the sounds in my head.

• Members

Streamlining. I don't play out as much now as I used to, and on the rare occasion that I do get a gig, I'm usually taking my LP or my Strat... MAYBE both. I just want a guitar that can get the thick HB tone, chimey SC tone, something quacky, screaming leads, but still darken up for that occasional jazz gig. I'll probably keep the Epi LP as a backup (because it's the best darn Epiphone I or anyone else has ever seen), but I'm getting to the point where it's not quite capturing the sounds in my head.

Sounds good.

I'd probably get an LP with P90s. Those can cover a lot of ground.

Archived