MF Father's Day 15% Discount Exclusions List

• Members

DAD15 is the coupon code good through 06/18/12.

The only problem - the "exclusions list". Here it is:

Offer Details

Even though some manufacturers have opted out of this special, well over 1,000 brands and 40,000 items are still discounted today! If you have a problem with this coupon, please call us at 866-226-2918

The following manufacturers have asked not to participate in coupon offers and other promotional discounts: 65 Amps, A Designs, Adam Audio, AKG, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, American Audio, American DJ, Ampeg, Antoine Courtois Paris, Aphex, Apogee, Apple, Armstrong, ART, Arturia, Audio-Technica, Audix, Auralex, Avalon, Avanti, Avid, Axl, Azumi, B&S, B3 Guitars, Bach, BAM, Beat Kangz, Bedell, Behringer, Belkin, Benchmark, Benchmark Media Systems, Benedetto, Besson, Bixonic, Black Cat, Blackheart, Blue, Bogner, Bosch, Bose, Boss, Breedlove, Bricasti, Brio, BSS, Buffet Crampon, Bugera, Bundy, Carl Martin, Casio, Cerwin-Vega, Chameleon Labs, Chandler Limited, Charvel, Chauvet, Cleartone, Cloud Microphones, Conn, Cordoba, Courtois, Crate, Crown, Cusak, Daking, Dangerous Music, DBX, Dean, Death By Audio, Diamond, Digitech, Disney by Washburn, DLS, Drawmer, DW, EBS, Eden, Edirol, Elation, Electro-Harmonix, Electro-Voice, Elysia, Emerson, EMG, Eminence, EMMA, Empirical Labs, Empress Effects, Engl, Epiphone, ESP, Euphonix, Eventide, EVH, F Loree Paris, Fano, Fender, Fender Custom, Fishman, Focusrite, Fox, Fuchs, Fulltone, Furman, G7th, Galway, Gator, Gemeinhardt, Genz Benz, Getzen, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Gibson USA, Giffin Guitars, GNI, Godlyke, Gold Tone, Golden Age, Golden Age Project, Grace Design, Great Divide, Great River, Gretsch, Gretsch Drums, Gretsch Guitars, Guild, Guyatone, Hagstrom, Hans Hoyer, Hao, Harden, Harmon, Haynes, Hercules, HHB, Hohner, Holton, Ibanez, ISP Technologies, J Puchner, Jackson, JamHub, Jasmine by Takamine, JBL, Jet City Amplifiers, Jody Jazz, Jupiter, K&M, Kanstul, Kawai, Keeley, Keilwerth, King, Koll Guitars, Korg, Kramer, KRK, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, Langevin, Latin Percussion, Leblanc, Lexicon, Line 6, LovePedal, LsL Instruments, Ludwig, Luna Guitars, Mackie, Mad Professor, Malekko, Manley, Mapex, Markbass, Marshall, Martin, Martin-Leblanc, Maxon, Meinl, Meinl Weston, Mesa Boogie, Millennia, Miraphone, Mixosaurus, Mogami, Mojave Audio, Moog, Morgan, Music Man, Music XPC, Neumann, Neve, Nord, Novation, NS Design, N-Tune, Olympus, On-Stage Stands, Option 5, Orange, Ortofon, Ovation, P. Mauriat, Paiste, Parker, PDP, Peavey, Pelonis Sound, Perri's, Phonic, Pigtronix, Pioneer, Powell, Prelude, PreSonus, Propellerhead, PRS, Purple Audio, QSC, Radial, Randall, Rane, Reunion Blues, Rickenbacker, Rivera, RME, Rockbag by Warwick, Rockbass by Warwick, Rockcase by Warwick, RockStand by Warwick, Roc-N-Soc, Rode Microphones, Roland, Royer, Rupert Neve Designs, Sabian, Sample Logic, Schecter, Scherzer, Schilke, Schreiber, Schroeder, Schroeder Guitars, Selmer, Selmer Paris, Sennheiser, Serato, Shure, SKB, SM Pro Audio, Softube, Solid State Logic, Sonare, Soul, Soundcraft, Squier, Stanton, Steinberg, Steinberger, Stephanhouser, Sterling by MusicMan, Summit Audio, Sweet Sound, SWR, Takamine, Tama, Tapco, Taylor, TDK, Tech 21, Telefunken, Thermionic Culture, Toadworks, Tobias, Tone King, Tortuga, Traveler Guitar, Traynor, T-REX, True Systems, Tube-Tech, Two Rock, Ultimate Support, Universal Audio, Vestax, Violet Audio, Vito, VMI, Voodoo Lab, VOX, Waldorf, Washburn, Weber Speakers, Western Digital, Xotic, Yamaha, Yamaha Band & Orchestra, Yanagisawa, Z.Vex Effects, Zildjian, Zoom.

Promotion valid only on in-stock items. Sorry, discounts not combinable with other coupons or special offers. Not valid on past purchases, Stupid Deal of the Day, special orders, purchase of gift certificates, software downloads, used gear, factory restocks, blemished items, sale items, items with free gifts, some limited edition or exclusive styles, Lessons on Demand downloads, Inked by Evans custom orders, MF Gold Coverage, value kits and bundles, or extended warranties.

Dear Musicians Friend - how about a list of the manufacturers that this coupon DOES apply to?

:)

In fairness, that list isn't really their fault. For example, ADAM Audio doesn't really discount - ever. There are dealer / vendor agreements that a store has to abide by, and for some companies, that means exclusion from discounts and sales events.

It sucks for us, but like I said - it's not really the dealer's fault when you see exclusion lists like that - frustrating as they can be for us musicians.

It's true. Just call.

I've heard reports of both, although more recent ones of people calling in and getting the discount honored. In terms of what the actual policy is, I have no idea - but again, I do know that when something's on the exclusion list, it's usually because the dealer agreement prohibits unauthorized advertisement of discounted sales prices, or because of low margins on the product - or both. For example, go try to get a 10% or 15% discount on a new Mesa amp. Not gonna happen - basically for the above reasons - the dealer agreement AND the very low margins on the amp. It costs the store darn near as much as they sell for, so discounting it by 15% would probably mean selling it at a loss once you take into account all the overhead.

• Members
:lol:

I've heard reports of both, although more recent ones of people calling in and getting the discount honored. In terms of what the actual policy is, I have no idea - but again, I do know that when something's on the exclusion list, it's usually because the dealer agreement prohibits unauthorized advertisement of discounted sales prices, or because of low margins on the product - or both. For example, go try to get a 10% or 15% discount on a new Mesa amp. Not gonna happen - basically for the above reasons - the dealer agreement AND the very low margins on the amp. It costs the store darn near as much as they sell for, so discounting it by 15% would probably mean selling it at a loss once you take into account all the overhead.

I know Phil. :wave:

I have called and understandably they state they have to honor MAP but I have also had weird things happen like one time I bought a Gibson Limited Edition Melody Maker (shaped like an SG in a midnight blue matte finish), and I applied a discount coupon which stated it could not be used with a "sale price" but surprisingly worked when ordering online - I kept expecting the price to jump during checkout but it didn't - so sometimes you can slip some stuff through :)

I understand MAP very well as I used to have an online gear store (FX Heaven) and worked directly with the manufacturers so I do understand the business end of this BUT... I do wish that MF and others would actually list those manufacturers that are not exempt from the coupon as I am not opposed to trying out new gear and gee - it would help them to move some stuff. :p

Me and Robert Keeley and Mrbluetone hooked up in Kansas City 5-6 years ago and one of our stops was the MF warehouse - trust me Phil - those guys had mountains of gear to unload and we grabbed all we could carry :eek::love::lol:

Just givin em some {censored} :wave:

It's all good Rev - I know you've been around and know this stuff - I'm just puttin' it out there for the kids who might not know how MI retail works. ;)

I've never been to the warehouse, but I have a friend who lives near St Louis - he's a meteorologist, and goes over and gets stuff from there on occasion when they're doing one of their Open box / dented item sales. I'll bet it's nice - but I'm afraid if I ever walked into a place like that, with all that gear, I'd never want to leave. :lol:

• Members

I applied a discount coupon which stated it could not be used with a "sale price" but surprisingly worked when ordering online - I kept expecting the price to jump during checkout but it didn't - so sometimes you can slip some stuff through
:)

You apply the "promo code" directly to the cart but the "coupon code" during the actual check-out. That's were you apply a discount like this and I've bought stuff from the banned list this way but you have to check first. It's a little more involved but you still haven't confirmed a purchase at this point. Some of you could've used this discount if you just tried.

• Members

I know Phil.
:wave:

I have called and understandably they state they have to honor MAP

Here's the thing: they don't have to honor MAP, except on published prices. You can get 10-15% off MAP on a lot of things even without a coupon. This includes major manufacturers that are on the excluded list.

Here's the thing: they
don't
have to honor MAP, except on published prices. You can get 10-15% off MAP on a lot of things even without a coupon. This includes major manufacturers that are on the excluded list.

A lot of the time, a store can sell it to you for whatever they want to... even at a loss. They just can't advertise that price. That's what "MAP" is - "Minimum Advertised Price." No dealer can advertise the item for less than MAP, although they're usually free to sell it for less if they want to.

However, about the only time stuff goes out below cost (which is under MAP - by how much depends on what the item is, the store's overhead, etc.) is when it's old stuff that's being blown out to make room for the new stuff. IOW, old stuff that's costing you more to stock week after week than it will for you to get rid of the dang thing at a loss this week. Regularly letting stuff sell for less than it costs you (wholesale, plus overhead) is a guaranteed way to go out of business.

^^ Exactly. But in general, especially with major manufacturers, 15% off of MAP is still making a profit. Particularly with volume dealers like Guitar Center.

Sure - sometimes - but from what I've seen, it depends on what the item is, and what the MAP is and cost is, and how close MAP and cost are than the size of the manufacturer. For example, Pro Audio markup is not what it is on some guitars. If MAP is 20-25% off MSRP, you're getting down near the razor's edge if you try to go much below that - especially once you take overhead into consideration. OTOH, if purchased in bulk, a dealer might be able to regularly sell something else at 20% off MAP and do fine. It just depends on what it is, what kind of deals they can work out with the manufacturers, etc. There's so many different deals and variables that it's hard to make generalizations. Mesa's a big company, but they don't discount their stuff at any store - the margin's just not there to do it, and it would probably violate the dealer agreement anyway. Other companies will give you a break of X% off wholesale if you buy Y number of guitars for your store, etc.

My advice to the average person who doesn't want to have to learn all the ins and outs of retail? Watch the sales. Stores generally pass on what savings they can to entice their customers to buy from them instead of competitors. Also, watch for older gear that is getting blown out. Not always a good idea for the high-tech stuff like audio interfaces (driver support going forward may be spotty, etc.), but for guitars and amps, getting this year's model as it's being phased out for next year's can save you serious money over buying the just about to be released version. I just did that with the MBP I'm typing this on. It's way faster than my old Macbook, and I saved about $500 by getting the model that was released seven or eight months ago instead of the one that was released last week.

Archived