Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar tone mojo or reality??

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard a few people complain about this too, I don't see what the heck is wrong with a neck shim. I usually just stick in a thin pick and it works wonders for action/setup.

The part I found funniest was that he writes this sentence saying to take everything out, then follows it by saying if you have trouble with the fit of the neck you should take it to a qualified luthier so he can shim the neck. It's like he has no idea what shimming means and just thinks of it as some kind of mysterious luthiery voodoo.
    Originally Posted by assface jackson

To say that **************** was loud is like saying vaginas are just o.k.

enskye

bandcamp

Comment

Comment

With all due respect to whomever wrote that... I find it highly doubtful. True, I've never tried to do a direct comparison of the sound with it on and off, but I've had plenty of Strats over the years, and plenty of occasions where I've played them with the string cover off and I've never noticed any change in the sound of the guitars when the spring covers were removed. And if someone claims they can hear the difference with the spring cover removed, I challenge them to do so in a double-blind listening test with someone else playing the guitar.

I also found this piece of advice somewhat questionable:

4. Take care of your neck cavity. Uninstall the neck and check the cavity; it should be absolutely free of any paint, dirt and other things. Over the years I've found a lot of funny things there -- credit cards, paper, cardboard, etc.

Matchbook covers, pieces of credit cards... has this author ever heard of neck shims?

I like how his name is Dirk Wacker. I had a guitar teacher who swore up and down that the spring cover made a huge difference. Said that Eric Johnson clued him onto it back in the 90s and he hasn't had one on any guitar since. Personally, I didn't hear a difference and put the cover back on for fear of getting stomach hair caught in springs.
        Great transactions with: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...&postcount=438

Spam: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...House-Cleaning

Comment

I like how his name is Dirk Wacker. I had a guitar teacher who swore up and down that the spring cover made a huge difference. Said that Eric Johnson clued him onto it back in the 90s and he hasn't had one on any guitar since. Personally, I didn't hear a difference and put the cover back on for fear of getting stomach hair caught in springs.

No shirt, no shoes, no Stratocaster?
          Originally Posted by assface jackson

To say that **************** was loud is like saying vaginas are just o.k.

enskye

bandcamp

Comment

dude. i sanded my strat down. now it sounds exaclty like a '56 strat. the change in tone was utterly unbelievable. i strongly recommend you take a sander to your guitars jms.

pls
            YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

Yeah, I dunno about the impact of finish. My most resonant guitar is a strat that has lace sensors and a thick thick thick polyesther finish on it. Oh and the spring cover is on. And I've also written all kinds of **************** on it in paint marker that nobody can see cause it's black on black thus adding even more finish to it. Still sings like a mofo and will sustain for like 30 seconds unplugged
              www.shoepedals.com

Comment

I'll tell you one thing I do think makes a difference, though. Playing a guitar all the time for years. Not only does wood tend to stabilize after about 5 years or so, but I feel like playing a guitar in so to speak tends to make the parts settle and wear in a way that's both more comfortable to play (as in the neck finish and fretboard) but also sort of puts them to the test. After a few years of crap that comes loose being re-tightened i feel like you'll either have fixed the problem or it will settle in place.
                www.shoepedals.com

Comment

- Tremolo Bar: The material of the inertia bar is crucical for a Stratocaster's tone. Even here diecast is the standard today; historically correct and awesome sounding is steel. This mod is highly recommendable for all Strats!

What? Is a whammy bar's material that crucical?

Comment

I think he means the trem block.
                    www.shoepedals.com

Comment

I think he means the trem block.

Ah! That actually makes sense. I've never even heard the term inertia bar. I thought is was just a highfalutin' way of saying whammy.

Comment

I'll watch this when I get the chance, thanks for posting. There's a lot of bollocks and magical thinking around this stuff, but some truth too. I knew a guy who studied this stuff at university, using all sorts of factors to check and measure tone variation. He said the bottom line was always the pickups, people need to remember that we're not dealing with an acoustic instrument. As long as the strings can resonate (ie aren't old, and your frets are in good condition), then anything else outside the pickups doesnt mean much.

After all the effort, I'd be interested to find out how much John Mayer cares about the PA in the venues he plays.

Comment

I'll tell you one thing I do think makes a difference, though. Playing a guitar all the time for years. Not only does wood tend to stabilize after about 5 years or so, but I feel like playing a guitar in so to speak tends to make the parts settle and wear in a way that's both more comfortable to play (as in the neck finish and fretboard) but also sort of puts them to the test. After a few years of crap that comes loose being re-tightened i feel like you'll either have fixed the problem or it will settle in place.

This is quite reasonable, it would also explain mojo. To continuously play the guitar for 5 years will also make you sound better through the same guitar!

They talk a lot about the guitar body, I would say a good neck is much more important for an electric.. don't you think?

Good deals lonk

Comment

i dont know anything about any of that, but I have 5 guitars, all of which i really wanted. I play a tele. I think the neck may have a slight bow, but it sounds good to me, and feels good.

i think thats where the mojo can come from
                            OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

After all the effort, I'd be interested to find out how much John Mayer cares about the PA in the venues he plays.

At every venue he makes a note of where the guitar sounds its best, and charges appropriately for tickets in those seats.
                              Originally Posted by telephant

Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.

UK based band;
                              http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk

Comment

Hi bass.
                                Good deals: papersun, ETI, Sondeladick, RoboPimp, Baxandall, Hangwire, bHz Econo, stratedge09, Blakemore Effects, Goodhonk, Macadood, Subsauce, Shoe Pedals | TGP: cooptone, pedalfrenzy

Originally Posted by IRG:
                                "reunula speaks the trooth"

Comment

Working...
                                X