Joe Gagan Easy Face Fuzz

• Members

I just finished building it today. Its another fuzz face variant, the Joe Gagan EASY FACE. I think this is by far my favorite fuzz face variant I've heard and built. The tone has just the right amount of fuzz and not to muddy sounding like the fuzz face and its variants. This fuzz pedal is a hybrid, uses one silicon transistor and one germainium transistor.

img0718vx.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-20

img0719zf.jpg

img0715ls.jpg

Here are all the fuzz face clones I'vbe built so far, L-R (70s Boutique Fuzz Face, a fulltone 70 fuzz clone, 69' Boutique Fuzz Face, also a 69' Fulltone fuzz clone, and the Joe Gagan Easy Face, my favorite of the bunch.)

img0720zpi.jpg

• Members

nice work !

Easy Face was quite popular here about 10 years ago when JoeGagan was posting here a lot (he was a very helpful and knowledgeable chap). Later on Joe got a bit of a bad rep here because of some issues with a batch of Brontoboost pedals that were ordered and paid for but it took forever to build these.

I think in the end some people never received their pedal.

• Members

He had some private issues that needed sorting out first and was short of funds and at some point seemed to have given up making pedals while people were still waiting on theirs. So he vanished from the forums and came back a year later trying to make things good again. He did attempt to pay back or deliver the pedals, but it took a couple of years and some people had just given up on him and did not get anything

• Members

in his own words

"basic story is that i tried to grow too big too fast.

got divorced and got slapped with huge debt from previous business failures.

tried to keep nvn afloat in the midst of all that, making too many promises i couldn't keep.

bottom line - poor financial management and an undercapitalized venture."

some old threads

where did he go?

in which he reappears

• Members

Man, I had huuuuge GAS for his Dinosaur fuzz, but I was broke and/or {censored} with money and it never happened.

OP: what's the difference between the Easy Face and the other FFs you've built- sonically and electronically? The '70 clone is Si and the '69 is Ge, right?

• Members

Wow! A blast from the past.

Seems like a nice guy, despite the {censored}storm. That was, what?, like 10 years ago?

yup, very nice guy, very helpful, anyway, it will be 10 years ago next year

I added him as a friend on FB

• Members

in his own words

"basic story is that i tried to grow too big too fast.

got divorced and got slapped with huge debt from previous business failures.

tried to keep nvn afloat in the midst of all that, making too many promises i couldn't keep.

bottom line - poor financial management and an undercapitalized venture."

some old threads

i kinda forgot if i got my money back or not... it's been 5 years... but i think i did..

• Members

i kinda forgot if i got my money back or not... it's been 5 years... but i think i did..

good, I think Gappie was forgotten, and Gainster

I dunno, indeed long time ago

what have you been doing lately digital ? digitall stuff ?

I still have that Chile Picoso I got from you

• Members

The things we remember.

I remember he and his brother (?) were both lefties, so it was an all lefy band. Maybe one of them played a double-neck? I might be pulling this stuff out of my ass. Used to love the look of his pedals and heard they sounded brutal.

• Members

Man, I had huuuuge GAS for his Dinosaur fuzz, but I was broke and/or {censored} with money and it never happened.

OP: what's the difference between the Easy Face and the other FFs you've built- sonically and electronically? The '70 clone is Si and the '69 is Ge, right?

The Easy Face is much more versatile, does not get too muddy and wooley. The Easy Face also is very sensitive to the guitar's volume, lowering it really cleans up really well and at full, you get that smooth, musical fuzz. The easy face uses one Silicon at Q1 and one Germanium at Q2. I recommend building one.

Archived