Any jazz guitarists using a vibrato pedal ?

warioblast

• Members

I was thinking the same thing as Ren, but per Scofield's website it doesn't look like he has one in pedal form:

Guitars

1981 Ibanez AS-200 -- PRIMARY AXE FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS

plus an assortment of Takamine acoustics and an old Martin

Amps

VOX AC30 or MESA BOOGIE MARK I reissue

Effects

Pro Co Sound RAT Distortion pedal

Ibanez Analog Chorus Pedal (purple)

Boss EQ pedal

DIGITECH Whammy/Wah

Boomerang Phrase Sampler

Boss Loop Station

Tuner

Green Line 6 (delay)

Purple Line 6 (filter)

Expression pedal for Line 6 pedals

Micro Synth

Pedal Board

Custom Pedal Board System by Pedal-Racks

• Members

Not that i've seen. I did a quick googling of players I thought would use Vibrato, but i've not found any. Although I don't really listen to the more avant players very much, so I don't know. I would imagine that vibrato is more common with that style.

To the best of my knowledge, Sco has never used a Vib - just heavy depth chorus.

• Members

There's a few jazzers who get in that Scofield ballpark, though as JDE says, it's likely an extreme chorus setting: Scofield, Jesse van Ruller (when he's playing a 335), Vic Juris. The only player who springs to mind as openly using a vibrato pedal is Nels Cline.

• Members

I have no idea why that kind of modulation seems to be so common in jazz (despite me not knowing anyone who actually uses a Vib, blorl). My old bassist, who had about 30 years on the gigging circuit, used to hate it as it just makes listening while soloing much harder than it really needs to be - his only thoughts on jamming ever was try not to use too much modulation while comping.

• Members

Abercrombie is all about the chorus, which comes from an old Boss SE50 1/2 rack box.

Seem to remember Charlie Hunter using the Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere for Leslie sounds.

[video=youtube;Gie4Nm7s-OM]

See 7:41 for how some very subtle modulation can be used.

• Members

Bill Frisell has used one more likely than not in his career. His DL4 chorused tones on Good Dog, Happy Man shows he knows how to use the effect at the very least.

AFAIK he is using the tremolo effect of the BF Fenders, but the pitch vibrato comes from his particular way of bending and pulling the neck. That 'effect' into the reverb and delays causes his 'etheral' sound.

Archived