Video: SUNN Model T shootout (vintage vs RI)

• Members

This is awesome! Thanks for the demo man. The Russian Circles fanboy in me instantly fell in love with the Reissue, though I agree completely that it should have a different name. Even the chuggy, heavy gain part sounded good though personally I would use less gain.

• Members

yea i hear ya. It be about 1500-1600 for a custom clone so its not cheap either way plus they are super gouged on the evilbay

1500 for a clone thats new or 1500 for the real thing that prolly needs a {censored}ton of work? pisses me off. i miss being able to pick up sunns for 500$ :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

• Members

1500 for a clone thats new or 1500 for the real thing that prolly needs a {censored}ton of work? pisses me off. i miss being able to pick up sunns for 500$
:(
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

yea i have seen people try to sell them for 1500 thats a bunch of lolololololzzzz. I could do a custom clone anywhere from 1500 to 1800 depending on which iron set some1 wants to use. Very important for that amp. I would add 2 more controls, Shift (variable slope resistor on the tone stack) and a SLO style depth in the feedback loop

• Members

Why did they stop production on the RI? Please explain this to me. Whats the deal with these amps?

Well, the deal is they weren't RI's. They were a completely different circuit that Fender came pup with and tried to market with a old brand, old model name and classic cosmetics. The original Sunn Model T was a derivative from the old non-lead plexi Marshalls, but with a much tighter and cleaner power amp (ultralinear power amp..typcially used in hi-fi's and super clean "steel guitar" amps) and a master volume.

Why they stopped production? I would guess that it didn't sell for a combination of reasons. 1.) Fender probably shouldn't have used an old model name to sell a new amp, it caused a lot of confusion and people who were psyched for a true Model T circuit were disappointed; all others may have passed it over because they assumed it was more of a clone. 2.) Fender tried to sell a high-gain, channel-switching amp with old school, fogey cosmetics, it didn't really fly well with the young'uns. 3.) Fender over-estimated the brand equity of SUNN, a brand that a vast majority of players had never, ever heard off the most of the rest barely remembered. At the time though Fender was doing a lot of spit-balling to see what they could get to stick from they massive portfolio of trademarks.

I rarely heard a bad word about the tone of the Model T RI, aside from people disappointed that they didn't get a true Model T. But ultimately, the circuit was just marketed wrong.

• Members

supposedly, the RI T is the Fender Evil Twin amp, in a new head-shell.

they couldn't be more different, BUT that doesn't make the RI a bad amp.

in fact, I think it's pretty awesome, for a high-gainer.

the vintage T is closer to an old marshall / ampeg.

It has that natural grind. It's a great base tone for a lot sounds. With the right pedal, it's a scary amp.

• Members

I had a Model T RI, and it wasn't a bad head but its very very different from the original. I actually liked the cleans of the reissue, but it was picky about dirt pedals. The distortion channel sounded great but the volume paled in comparison to the clean channel, even maxed out it was only as loud as the clean channel at 6-7 :idk: the overly complex effects loop was actually really helpful you get set different input and output levels for each channel. My main gripe with it was that it just wasn't loud enough for me. Would I pick up another one if i scored a good deal? Sure, but it wouldnt be my main head.

Oh and yes the RI is a fender evil twin slightly slightly modified and put in a headshell. I found an ET at a local used music gear store and it sounded identical to the RI model t.

• Members

Damn, can't watch the vid at work. Marked for later. I got an original model t earlier this year for 1500 and I love it. This one is in really good shape except for a couple of the knobs. Mine was recently teched and has some killer vintage tubes in it when I got it too. Takes pedals {censored}in great !

Archived