Blues deluxe??

echodeluxe

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a 410 Blues Deville, and my housemate has a 112 HRD in Tweed. They sound practically identical to me.

I figure the Blues Deluxe would be the same and only offer one gain stage, and foot-switchable reverb. That's what sold me on the Blues Deville. Although the Spring Reverb isn't as deep as most other Fenders i've tried.

• Members

Blues Deluxe is solid. Not a small or quiet amp though. The one issue I had with mine is the quick volume jump, from 0-1 quieter, 2-3 loud, 4-10 more loud. So maybe you can adjust the volume taper. I had a small volume pot pedal in the effects loop to sort of work as an auxillary volume control which helped some. I didn't like the dirt tone that much, but the cleans are nice, and it takes pedals well.

• Members

Blues Deluxe is solid. Not a small or quiet amp though. The one issue I had with mine is the quick volume jump, from 0-1 quieter, 2-3 loud, 4-10 more loud. So maybe you can adjust the volume taper. I had a small volume pot pedal in the effects loop to sort of work as an auxillary volume control which helped some. I didn't like the dirt tone that much, but the cleans are nice, and it takes pedals well.

That seems standard with Fender HRD's, and the Blues models. I remember hearing that it's because the volume pot isn't linear, or something along those lines. But i don't really know. I'd definitely prefer it had a smoother increase.

The reverb though isn't {censored}ty. Still sounds great! Just not as extreme. I wasn't too fussed by that either. I use the amps reverb for more basic sounds, and if i want crazy, super-splashy spring reverb i just use my Spring Theory.

• Members

They all can definitely benefit greatly from a proper linear volume pot. And with all of those I think it's pretty easy to swap out for a larger/better reverb tank if you don't like the stock. Personally I'd just go all out and find a good deal on a Silverface Twin if you want cleans and killer reverb. Just get a backbrace if you plan on gigging with it. :D

• Members

Eh, go big or go home. :D

But yeah, if that's the case a Twin ain't the answer. I guess for me having lugged around a Twin and a HRD the Twin was worth the extra weight. Too bad there isn't a lighter 1x12 version of the twin. Maybe there is, I just haven't found it yet.

• Members

Well then {censored} go for it. I hated the HRD I had for a while, ended up tossing it and going back to the Blues Jr. I had (we always mic'd gigs anyways) so I've avoided them since. I've played a few Blues Deluxe's and liked them more than the HRD, although I think they're both pretty similar. I'd take a Classic 30 over any of the hot rod line but I guess that's just more my taste, just love those EL-84s. My only amp right now runs is 6V6. Go figure. If it's a fair trade go for it, I don't think a Blues Deluxe would be hard to get rid of if you don't bond with it.

• Members

Blues Deluxe is a great giggining amp. It's relatively small but is still plenty loud. Takes pedals really well too. I got one for my first tube amp about six years ago and never had a single problem with it. With the stock speaker the highs can be a little piercing so I changed the speaker to Cannabis Rex which mellowed out the amp nicely. I run mine with 5881's for a little less power. It also takes JJ's 6V6's which drops out the power even more but makes the amp a lot brighter too. Great amp!

• Members

How abut a Traynor YCV-40 (6L6)? It comes in a 112 package.

31XpQKwLuUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have the now discontinued YCV-40T (2x10). It's cleans are very Fenderish and the reverb is pretty lush. The Celestion Tube 10's were {censored} though and I replaced the with Eminence's.

• Members

Yeah they seem to have a lot of fans. I'd be really happy with a blues Jr, but no such luck.

As in no trade offers for one? They aren't hard to come by unless I've missed something recently, my brother has had mine for years. I'm surprised you didn't like the Classic 30 but would take a Blues Jr. I guess. For gigging the 30 is better in every way I think.

• Members

I will say my Blues Jr. I bought in 2000 and has lived in 3 states and still runs on it's original factory tubes. At some point I'm going to send my brother a new set of tubes and a C12N to throw in it, but that thing has been a workhorse. Pretty sure it still has beer stains on the control plate and never skipped a beat.

Archived