Recommend me a versatile distortion pedal for my blues junior amp.

• Members

I enjoy playing heavy crunchy marshall british high gain stuff, classic rock, metal, overdriven blues black crowes kinda stuff. Indie rock.

I had a DS1, but tonally I didnt like it. I had an MI Audio Crunch Box. Sounded good, but it was too much a 1 trick pony.

I'd like something more versatile with the tones.

Nothing too expensive fancy/boutique. Under 2 bills. Something that works well with my tweed blues junior.

My main and only electric is a stock 50's squier classic vibe strat.

• Members

MY buddy had a blues junior and a Fulltone OCD. can get all of those tones. he loves it and I admit it really does sound great. He plays single coils as well. I say give it a go. The joyo ripoff of the OCD is pretty sweet too if you want one for 1/3 the price haha

• Members

I enjoy playing heavy crunchy marshall british high gain stuff, classic rock, metal, overdriven blues black crowes kinda stuff. Indie rock.

I had a DS1, but tonally I didnt like it. I had an MI Audio Crunch Box. Sounded good, but it was too much a 1 trick pony.

I'd like something more versatile with the tones.

Nothing too expensive fancy/boutique. Under 2 bills. Something that works well with my tweed blues junior.

My main and only electric is a stock 50's squier classic vibe strat.

Rat

Here it is with a DS1 for comparison...

[video=youtube;a6HUmlXZOJg]

• Members

FD2 sounds great with the BJ. Can't go wrong with a RAT either. If you didn't like the DS-1 the RAT is the next step IMHO.

Everything about this is correct and factual.

I'm so proud of everyone in this thread. Rats and fulldrives. Mah boiz.

• Members

I think the FD2 lost a lot of favor over the years, partly because things like the Tim/Timmy came out and partly because Fuller is kind of a dick to a lot of people, but hot damn my orange FD2 sounded amazing with the BJ. I just recently got a RAT and don't know how I lived without one for so long. And I will stand by the awesome, yet narrow minded DS-1 till the end of time. But the RAT does the same thing and more.

• Members

I must say, a friend and I compared the older blue version with my 10th anniversary and they sounded different for sure, so I can only speak to the 10th anniversary edition. Actually both sounded really good, the burnt orange one just sounded better. With the boost activated there were certain parts of the fretboard where I could just hit a note and it would ring and not stop, ever. It was kinda like Trey in a box to me in some ways, certainly not for everyone but if you wanted ringing, sustained solos that thing killed.

• Members

The Blues Jr can get kind of mushy with certain drive pedals, I find, but using an extension cabinet helps that a ton, actually.

Anyway, I dunno if you're going to get a really tight metal sound out of a blues jr that's stock but if you get it biased cooler it will be less muddy and better for that sort of thing, too.

I've had pretty good luck with radial pedals (like the hot british and classic tonebone distortions) and a blues jr as well as with the danelectro cool cat drive (an ocd ripoff) and with a lot of the pedals I build. Not all of them actually play well with the blues jr, though. It's very odd. I have a lot of amps to test pedals out on. The JCM800-style amps tend to sound good with almost any pedal I've ever made but sometimes certain designs will sound amazing with a marshall-style amp and then I'll try them on my old 1967 bassman or the blues jr and they sound like ass which, sometimes, means going back to the drawing board. The blues jr is definitely the most finnicky of them, i think. The blues jr does break up pretty well on its own, though, so if you can get it close to breaking up and then use something to push it over the edge you'll probably have the best luck that way.

If you can, maybe ask some builders if they've tried their pedals through a blues jr and how well they worked or maybe take your amp to a music store and ask if you can try pedals through it with a guitar that's familiar to you. You'll probably do best with a pedal that lets you cut some low end as bass tends to cause the blues jr to get very soggy.

• Members

+1 on the OCD - when my blues jr was still stock it was an absolute tossup between the OCD and DLS (catalinbread) for which made the best sound.

After a speaker change (which I highly recommend, search "billm audio" to find the right one for you), both were sold.

• Members

If you wanna make your Blues Jr. sound gnarly and a little out of control, the Fulldrive 2 is great, but I don't think you can get it into metal territory.

The other guitarist in my band uses that combo (and a RAT, too), and frequently cranks out tone that makes me jealous.

• Members

Have you or any member of your family ever seen a spook, specter, or ghost?

If the answer is yes, don't wait another minute. Pick up the phone and call the professionals.

GHOSTBUSTERS

Nice. Nice. Everybody has three mortgages these days.

Archived