So lets talk about this...

d4rk0

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah should have known to check this thread before I posted mine. (Did a search for "Galileo" and got no results) But yeah, I'm assuming it's a juiced up CB30/Naga Viper type combo.

For some reason people can't just come out and say what they're posting about.

Actually, that's the cat's ass today - that's a Studer A827, the last Studer 24 track analog deck. The "Gold" version is probably the best 2" tape deck ever built.

Those weren't around back in the mid-70s. Studers were, but not that model. Back in the 70s, it would have been an A-80. Since A Night At The Opera was recorded at a few different studios, I'm not really sure which specific tape decks were used on it, but I'd be surprised if an A-80 wasn't one of them.

450px-Studer_A80_24-track_recorder.jpg

Depends on which one we're talking about, the number of hours on it and overall condition (especially of the heads), and what kind of a deal you luck into. In general, a lot of big studios have closed down, and pretty much every time I'm in one, I see deck after deck sitting idly in the hallways while whatever rooms happen to be booked have someone working with a DAW. Yes, some are being used as transfer machines, and some are in service as multitrack recorders for tracking and mixing, but there just isn't the same demand for them today that there once was. That has driven the prices way down. Also, remember that these are all old machines now. An A80 could be pushing 40 years old. The last A827 was sold new in 2007. At the time, they listed for $58K. The last one I saw for sale was well under ten grand.

Sounds interesting, huh? :) Don't forget the costs in terms of care and feeding. Electricity draw on that beast is... considerable. You'll need a few mechanical and electronics tools, a calibration tape, etc. and / or a good tech to keep it running to spec. You'll need to clean and degauss it regularly, align it, calibrate it. Tape's not cheap either. Two inch tape used to cost me $140 / reel, and that was a good price. You'll get about 16 minutes of 24 track recording time out of that reel at 30 IPS, or twice that at 15 IPS tape speed. Depending on the amount of alternative takes you decide to keep, you can easily use six reels of tape recording an album. You'll need a bare minimum of two, and I've seen projects that have used many more.

Here's an old Tascam ATR-80 for under two grand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-ATR-80-2-24-Track-Audio-Recorder-Multitrack-Multi-Track-Machine-/320933532268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab921126c

Here's an old Otari MX-80. I've spent countless hours driving one of these, and they're good decks. But IMHO, this one is over-priced a bit at $3k. If it was Otari's nicer MTR-90 and in great shape, it might be worth $3k. I can't see the somewhat more affordable MX-80 going for that much though - not with the way the prices have been lately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTARI-MX-8-24-TRACK-2-ANALOG-RECORDER-/251088286212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a76073204

However, I prefer the MX-80 over the ATR-80 overall.

Archived