Best spring reverb pedal under $200

• Members

A friend of mine and great guitarist is looking for that bright sizzling spring reverb sound in a pedal.

I gave him these choices.

Subdecay Spring theory

Malekko Spring

EH Holy Grail

Dano Spring King

Van Amps Sole Mate

He said he's probably going with the Sole mate because it's the actual thing in pedal form.

I'm sure it would get him closest then the others mentioned but how wet/ intense can the sole mate get?

Might anyone have any other recommendations? Less than $200 pls

THANKS@@@@@@

• Members

A friend of mine and great guitarist is looking for that bright sizzling spring reverb sound in a pedal.

I gave him these choices.

Subdecay Spring theory

Malekko Spring

EH Holy Grail

Dano Spring King

Van Amps Sole Mate

He said he's probably going with the Sole mate because it's the actual thing in pedal form.

I'm sure it would get him closest then the others mentioned but how wet/ intense can the sole mate get?

Might anyone have any other recommendations? Less than $200 pls

THANKS@@@@@@

I picked this up used for $189...it's an actual analog Spring Reverb pedal (actual springs)...

Carl-Martin-Headroom.jpg

It arrives on Monday. The demo sounds really good. :thu:

[video=youtube;L85Cr_8xEX0]

• Members

A caveat about the solemate: if you get a reverbamate by vanamps, and if you run that into two independent channels, you can achieve much more wetness and brightness with tweaking. I prefer it over the solemate, which had a preset mix.

• Members

But it's a cosm effect man!

COSM is garbage for dirt I'll agree. But everything you listed except the solemate is digital anyway so COSM is no different in this case. I admit I haven't tried anything new in the past year and a half (because there's no need now that I have the FRV) but at the time I went through every sub $250 reverb out there and this really can't be beat if you want spring reverb. It sounds more like a real spring reverb than any ones I tried. As far as overall sound it tied with the spring chicken but I think the frv emulates a spring reverb more accurately.

• Members

And there it is.

Ok.

Sounds blunt I know but when you get into those transistor/opamp real spring units they're big bulky and kinda sound meh if you're use to tube based outboard or onboard amp reverb. If I was going that route I'd get another 6G15, not much bigger just a little taller. On the small I really like the Digiverb, but the FRV-1 excels over it imo. Those others just don't bring it imho. But you don't have to listen to anyone on this forum, just use your own ear. ;)

• Members

I was considering the Subdecay Spring Theory to hold me over until I could pick up a tube/spring reverb box because it sounded really good and it had a nice room setting but then I found an under $200 price on the Headroom and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. There have been great strides made in the digital "spring" reverb arena but even the most expensive ones just weren't sounding quite right to me so I made the decision to stop fighting the idea of spending the extra bucks and carrying around a big box and just get the real thing. The Headroom is a nice stepping stone to the tube/spring box. It may even completely do the trick...I'll know more after it arrives on Monday. I'll report back with my findings. :)

• Members

DGRIaKwKjAk

here's something I made that seems revalent to the topic. Subdecay V. real spring. I used a Hammond L112, that has a nice long springs in it and a Fender Concert amp. The subdecay, is pretty good. Little darker, but not super fake. I ran a fuzz into at two points in the clip, so it works well with fuzz. Sorry this me aimlessly wanking, for six minutes :o . The room on the spring is really why I bought it, swells + chorus + room = stoner drones.

Archived