Looking for a high gain fuzzy distortion....

• Members

I'm looking for a pedal that can do fuzzy distortion, and has the capacity to do higher gain too.

Not really looking for mid scooped metal distortion, nor big muff style fuzz.

Marshall type gain is a bit too tight and crunchy....not fuzzy enough.

Mesa type gain is pretty good, but a little too loose.

I've listened to "metal" pedal demos that should have fit the bill, but they always sound like buzzy messy {censored}.

I have a EQD HOOF that is pretty close, a meathead clone that's pretty close......but neither really hit the spot perfectly.

The Meathead has the right kind of tone.....aggressive powerful fuzz, but palm mutes sound thin and weak.

Kinda vague, but any suggestions?

• Members

I was going to say supercollider as well. It's awesome, crunchy, and really tight for a fuzz. Probably fits the bill perfectly for what you're talking about. I have a v1 and from what i've heard, the v2 with the LED clipping option is even better.

Also, the elements, even though it's a flavor of the month pedal around here, is truly awesome. It can get a pretty fuzzy tone, is insanely tweakable, and sounds amazing. It's crazy how versatile it really is. So many good tones in there.probably the best high gain distortion pedal i've ever played.

I play metal and i've found that most of the "metal" distortion pedals sound pretty bad.

• Members

I'm currently using the HM-2 as well.....I keep going back and forth between the HOOF, HM-2 and various other drive pedals.

The HM-2 gets pretty nasty, in a good way.

I like the Keeley RAT too, but it gets kind of flubby at higher gain settings.

I have a Mesa BottleRocket which is really close to what I'm looking for, but it hums terribly. :(

• Members

I was going to say supercollider as well. It's awesome, crunchy, and really tight for a fuzz. Probably fits the bill perfectly for what you're talking about. I have a v1 and from what i've heard, the v2 with the LED clipping option is even better.

Also, the elements, even though it's a flavor of the month pedal around here, is truly awesome. It can get a pretty fuzzy tone, is insanely tweakable, and sounds amazing. It's crazy how versatile it really is. So many good tones in there.probably the best high gain distortion pedal i've ever played.

I play metal and i've found that most of the "metal" distortion pedals sound pretty bad.

I'll have to watch some demos of both of those.....I've looked into them before but hadn't gone as far to order either.

• Members

What I'd personally try for that sort of thing: Dr Scientist The Elements. I'd probably look for a cheaper alternative though.

And I hate to hype a pedal that's not even out yet, but of my favorite booteek pedlol builders is about to come up with something that according to the rumors should be able to do the fuzzy high gain thing if I remember correctly. EQD Talons. I'm sure if won't cost much more than their other stuff, or at least I hope so:)

Edit: Looked it up in the original thread about that new EQD od pedal...No mension of fuzzyness, don't know why I thought that. Should be tweakable though, I'll just have to wait for the first demo's/reviews. Also, it'll be $200ish:(

• Members

that's because most metal sounds pretty bad

I'm not a metalhead either, but impo chugga chugga brootalz type of tones are the hardest to nail without the use of a loud high gain amp. The more huge tight gain you need, the more generic and gimmicky the "amp-in-a-box" usually sounds, or at least in my personal experience...

• Members

Now I don't know much bout no Supercollider, so I can't talk about it.

However, The Elements will do what you want.

If you want tight chuggy high gain, with the switches in their higher gain settings, the gain knob doesn't need to be even close to all the way up. the higher your go, the fuzzier it gets. That and most dirt settings sound best with the bass cut toggle in the center which is the most significant bass reduction. If you have a dirty setting and use either no bass cut or the medium bass cut, it's incredibly fuzzy. Then you have the really powerful three band tone stack to add mids and carve out your spot in the mix... it's a great pedal.

I just got one, and had practice yesterday, and am very very impressed. Still gotta do a proper NPD thread.

• Members

I joined a band recently that isn't metal metal, but more of a punk hardcore thrashy kind of thing.........The other guitar player has more of a crazy loose fuzz tone....so I'm trying to contrast his tone with a mid focused crunchy tone.

I've tried a standard marshally rock tone, but it was too generic and refined. Something a little more out of control is what seems to fit.....

• Members

I joined a band recently that isn't metal metal, but more of a punk hardcore thrashy kind of thing.........The other guitar player has more of a crazy loose fuzz tone....so I'm trying to contrast his tone with a mid focused crunchy tone.

I've tried a standard marshally rock tone, but it was too generic and refined. Something a little more out of control is what seems to fit.....

Gah! ELEMENTS!

Sounds like you are going for just a hair hairier than our bands sound. Our rhythm guitarist has the uber thumpy Les Paul through a damn Triple Rec with a Mesa 412, so he's got the bass thump. I go for a midrange focused lead tone and the Elements nails it without sounding generic, and it can be as refined or out of control as you please.

• Members

Gah! ELEMENTS!

Sounds like you are going for just a hair hairier than our bands sound. Our rhythm guitarist has the uber thumpy Les Paul through a damn Triple Rec with a Mesa 412, so he's got the bass thump. I go for a midrange focused lead tone and the Elements nails it without sounding generic, and it can be as refined or out of control as you please.

Ummmm yeah he nailed it, get the elements, the supercollider is huge and bass heavy it would blend too much with your other guitarist.

• Members

must. resist. HCFX hype-train.....
:D

hahaha well look at it this way even if it doesnt work out for the high gain brootz, you still get a wicked OD, a gnarly distortion, and one hell of a clean boost all in one pedal. :thu:

Archived