DigiTech JamMan

echodeluxe

• Members

anyone have one/tried one?

i tried one today and i was really impressed. unlike the dl4, theres a level control that actually works well. and beats. and its really easy to use.

i really want one. and my drummer wants one too so he can sample his drums in real time.

so, tell me about yours.

• Members

I have the Stereo JamMan and have nothing but good things to say about it. You can find them for relatively cheap and you can also get a ton of extra looping time if you get the SDHC card.

I don't think it does the crazy stuff the DL4 does but it balances that out in other ways, such as extra looping time and all that.

• Members

i didnt try the solo, but could have. i think for what i wanna do the stereo is the best option. do you think my drummer could get away with a solo? he just wants to be able to have a bunch of loops/samples stored that he can call up and play.

• Members

i think stereo is best for your drummer, would be a lot easier to use down by his high hat pedal without getting confused. its got an xlr in right... but does it have two?

DigiTech-JamMan-Stereo.jpg

no... so does your drummer use electronic drums?

• Members

so he's prolly gonna have to get a mixer then and put it all down into one line or something? that is gonna be real tough, cause he will probably pick up your guitar in stage noise and {censored}.

he should just prerecord samples of his drumming and then use a trigger like an spd-s or something. i guess you could still use the digitech for that, but i'd rather have the spd-s

• Members

i think he wants to record just his snare and maybe floor tom in real time (kinda like how tune yards does, and others i cant think of) but i know he wants to prerecord looks as sort of samples as well that he can recall during a set.

• Members

IMHO.

Did the JM delay, and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Just blah. Needs optional footswitch for time stretch. Reverse always starts from end of loop. Delays were really dull. Storing phrases was the best part, but trying to record the loops of drums drove me up the wall. Do not miss.

• Members

The end/beginning of loops was never dependably accurate with precise BPM stuff. If user error, then three of us suck at it. Also, don't you have to stop the loop the first time before overdub? Or does it just lack immediate overdub? Can't remember.

• Members

The end/beginning of loops was never dependably accurate with precise BPM stuff. If user error, then three of us suck at it. Also, don't you have to stop the loop the first time before overdub? Or does it just lack immediate overdub? Can't remember.

Yes. Because of this reason, its a good looper for samples, but probably the worst for live jamming.

• Members

I use an RC-30 live with my band and its definately tricky to get the timing sounding right. You do have a leg up in that field though because the drummers setting the timing for his own loops and not playing to the guitarists timing.

The good thing about the jam man is that theres a click track output. So your drummer could wear an ear piece or headphones and stay in sync with his own loops. Which will make it more fluent when clicking in and out at the right spot. The downside is using a mic cause it'll probably pic up some bleed from other drums. Possibly the bass drum in between the snare hits, and muddy up the mix through the PA. I tired using the mic input once on mine playing live and it picked up way too much room noise and basically looped the whole band.

Maybe using a drum trigger on the snare, hooked into a drum module, then into the jam man would be another option. This would take the mic aspect out of the equation. Kinda gets more complicated though.

Its definately a cool concept if you can pull it off. I'm a drummer myself and I always wanted to be able to mix that kinda thing in there.

Archived