Joy Division...what to check out?

aman74

• Members

One of those bands that I've known about for years, always heard what I liked, but for some reason never delved into. I'm sure we all have some "holes" in our musical exposure, even if they're obvious ones. I had even seen the movie Control a couple years ago and still hadn't picked up an album. Good movie by the way, for fans or not.

I was at the library the other day and picked up the album Closer. I'm loving it so far, but would love to hear any other recommendations for what to check out next. Youtube videos, live stuff, etc... all welcome.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They really only had 2 LPs. Unknown Pleasures is my fave. 'Still' is good too -unreleased stuff after Ian's death. Rhino records put out a box set with about everything they recorded called Heart & Soul.

Had those albums when they came out & hardly anyone was listening to them then. It took long enough!

• Members

Thanks to all for the great replies. I knew they weren't around very long, but rather than just look at a discography I figured by posting here I'd get a lot of other good info, which I did! Thanks again and I look forward to going on a big Joy Division kick.

• Members

Yeah, there isn't much to hear from them unfortunately.
Substance
Unknown Pleasures
, and
Closer
are all essential. There's no reason to skip any of them.

If those float your boat, then New Order
Movement
and
Factus 8
and
Power, Corruption, & Lies
are also all essential.

Definitely this.

• Members

i'd say one of the first things to check out is the live release "Les Bains Douches 18 December 1979". Joy Division was much better live than they were in the studio, and this release is probably the best quality that i've heard. the emotion that this show captures makes most of the studio versions pale in comparison. oh, and definitely the BBC/Peel Sessions stuff as well.

• Members

i'd say one of the first things to check out is the live release
"Les Bains Douches 18 December 1979"
. Joy Division was much better live than they were in the studio, and this release is probably the best quality that i've heard...

THIS.

I am surprised and disappointed in you people for taking this long to say this. :mad:

Les Bains Douches is THE Joy Division album.

Archived