OT: The Melvins

• Members

My knowledge of The Melvins spans just two short years. It begins at Houdini and ends at Stoner Witch. I'm kind of re-discovering them, having not listened to either of those much since they were released almost 20 years ago (I know, I know :o).

What other records should I listen to? They have a ton.

• Members

you definitely have some good ones so far, but:

stag, senile animal, nude with boots, the bulls and the bees (it is a free record), I dig mangled demos, but 26 songs will get you into that territory nicely, lysol is great, and bullhead is sublime.

I guess I'll narrow that down to 3 different-y ones:

Bullhead

senile animal

26 songs

that takes care of some pretty different eras.

• Members

Thanks for the answers, guys! Keep 'em coming. FWIW, I've since determined that Houdini is one of the best albums of all time.

Thankfully, they have a lot of records on Spotify. I think I'll start with Senile Animal.

you definitely have some good ones so far, but:

stag, senile animal, nude with boots, the bulls and the bees (it is a free record), I dig mangled demos, but 26 songs will get you into that territory nicely, lysol is great, and bullhead is sublime.

I guess I'll narrow that down to 3 different-y ones:

Bullhead

senile animal

26 songs

that takes care of some pretty different eras.

A man I can trust!

image.php?u=266693&dateline=1303508311

• Members

All of the mentioned are good. Maybe stay away from Colossus of Destiny, or Prick. Not for beginners. T he collaborations with Jello are too often overlooked, and Pigs of the Roman Empire (with Lustmord) has some rewarding moments if you're patient.

And if you could take the best songs off of Senile Animal, Nude With Boots and The Bride Screamed Murder and put them on one album, it would be a stone classic.

• Members

And if you are into brain scattering noise, Chicken Switch.

Lysol is probably my favorite. Honky is amazing. Melvins have never done anything wrong in my book. Greatest band in the world. That they have continually evolved and still do great things is to be lauded.

• Members

The Jared warren albums have been pretty great, a bride screamed murder being my favorite from that period. Bullhead is my favorite Melvins album.

Yeah, and you might as well check out Big Business while you're at it.

• Members

Wait.

Who?

oh, nobody. just a little band called the father{censored}ing MELVINS.

[video=youtube;eT3o0DUQMGY]

old amrep band from back in the day. that dude from the band whose drummer formed the foo fighters really dug em. they are pretty obscure though.

...christian you troll.

• Members

Never heard of them.

duuuuuuude. you would love them. like, for srs. no Bhz, even. ummm... god where to start?

well you need to listen to houdini. and then like, stag and stoner witch and hostile ambient... you know what? any melvins record except for like prick or collosus of destiny. sugar daddy live is a fun entry to the band.

here:

their wikipedia

fun fact: they have had many bassists

fun fact 2: they are one of the most worthwhile live shows. bar none. red dot.

Archived